PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Where was the ELECTRICITY?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Where was the ELECTRICITY?

Postby ponybutt » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:52 pm

A time out is called and the PA guy starts reading commercials? Must have happened 5 or 6 times tonight. The band should be playing the fight song! Read commercials at the half!

I thought the enviornment tonight was about 1/10th of what it should of been. Moody was dead! Remeber Texas Tech just a couple of years ago...Moody was out of control!! Not tonight. And where were the students????? I can tell you this, they were not at the game.
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Re: Where was the ELECTRICITY?

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:57 pm

ponybutt wrote:A time out is called and the PA guy starts reading commercials? Must have happened 5 or 6 times tonight. The band should be playing the fight song! Read commercials at the half!

I thought the enviornment tonight was about 1/10th of what it should of been. Moody was dead! Remeber Texas Tech just a couple of years ago...Moody was out of control!! Not tonight. And where were the students????? I can tell you this, they were not at the game.

We were in that Tech game a couple of years ago all the way, and the same thing existed last year when we won. That makes a big difference. By half tonight it was pretty clear who was going to win, and the second half was dominant by OSU thanks primarily to Mr. Hopkins.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby ponybutt » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:03 pm

I know that Diehard, but SMU was ahead with 10 min. to go in the half and the place was dead. Moody did show some life when B-Hop had his only field goal, (Dunk), but overall Moody was silent.
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:08 pm

The crowd size and energy were terrible! Mabey 1,200 SMU fans there, PATHETIC!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dutch » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:13 pm

the only thing I can think of to maybe explain the lack of fans was that it was the day after a vacation/holiday for both students and alum fans. I had a hard time dragging myself up there, but did so.

Just delayed getting back in full swing by one more day.

It wouldn't surprise me if students have papers/tests this week. I can remember professors giving assignments like that and expected you to work all break - when really we would all wait until sunday and monday to do them.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:25 pm

EXCUSES EXCUSES. THAT DIDN'T STOP ALL OF THE OSU FANS THAT WERE THERE.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Johnny Rock » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:34 pm

Many student, alumni, etc. do not attend games because the administration will not fully commit to Division 1-A athletics in revenue sports. With respect to basketball, our rivals have new facilities (i.e., practice courts, arenas, etc.). However, SMU does not. I like the fact we hired Tubbs, a coach with local connections. But remember, this is a team that has not had any post season success in a long, long time. We also have failed to win (or even come close) to winning our conference in the lowly WAC. Until SMU upgrades its facilities and loosens the academic restrictions on its athletes even more to compete on a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD with its competition, the fans will continue to take the 'why bother' approach and stay home. The day the school acts as one instead of separate institutions where the athletic department is treated as a red-headed step child, you will continue to see fans stay away.
Johnny Rock

Postby DickerJames » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:18 am

If SMU had made the Final Four last year and was currently ranked number 5 in the country you would have the students, fans, electricity etc.....
DickerJames
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:33 am

well about student turn out - let me say this: I'm in the band and I didn't realize that we had a game tonight until about 3pm when I just happened to check the calender to see if the next game was on friday or saturday. SMU had zero promotion of the game, and with most students just getting back from break (mexico in my case, woo!) and the last week of class coming up (i.e. pre-finals tests) and a probably loss, it hurts attendance.
couch 'em

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:40 am

Even the SMU Insider email promoting the game sounded forced. Reading the announcement, it seemed like someone in the marketing dept. woke up Sunday and said, "oh snap...there's a game tomorrow...should we send an email about it or something?"

Folks should've been talking about this for the last two months. There should've been a d*mn banner outside Moody saying, "countdown to showdown w/ the Cowboys" or something like that.
RGV Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:08 am

Somebody needs to just pull the plug on the PA. I thought it was bad when Bill Melton was there... it has gotten ridiculous. PA commercials at the beginning of time-outs (or any time during the game) is a downer. AND what th' heck do the Mavs Dancers have to do with anything SMU? That was just stupid. Pretty rag-tag operation. Who's in charge? The Mustang Band is not just the hub of SMU spirit... it IS SMU spirit. The girls and boys dressed up in the red & blue spirit costumes serve no purpose.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:53 am

Look, there is no excuse for students not to go to a game against a top 10 team. Period. Exams are coming, so take a book with you, study early, study late, but Go. When I was in grad school, the night before an exam, the school I went to was playing UNC who was ranked #1 at the time. I went over figuring to catch a half of the game. At halftime there were definite prospects of an upset. I stayed and saw probably one of the biggest basketball upsets ever. William & Mary beat UNC that night. So, go to the games, its fun, its entertainment, its supporting your school, and who knows, you might meet a future boss, wife, or business associate there.
EastStang

Re:

Postby jtstang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:17 am

Bergermeister wrote:AND what th' heck do the Mavs Dancers have to do with anything SMU? That was just stupid.

Lay off the Mavs dancers, they are hot. If we only bring single ones, and make them promise to be at Milo's afterward, the frat boys will get wind of them and come to the games.
jtstang

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:49 am

The place did seem a little uninspired..

Yea, the "Mustang Maniacs" wore red t-shirts the last couple of years. What happened to that??

Why do we have 15 cheerleaders? The UT Tyler cheerleaders looked better and they had 4-6.

Mavs dancers..I guess they were a lot of $$ b/c there was no half-time show at all - and we only got 4 out of the whole group.

Our new scoreboard (I wish) -
http://www.electro-mech.com/Generic/Bas ... /2577.html

Ok, my rant is over. :D
Pony_Fan

Postby Dutch » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:49 pm

I noticed it at the football games, and again last night. What happened to the waistline of the Cheerleaders? They almost all had a little roll (bigger in some cases).

At least the Pom Squad is usually thin and doesn't disgust the fans with their guts hanging out. Where were they for our viewing pleasure?
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball