PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on OSU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Eddie P » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:49 am

JT Stang-

I could be wrong about this, but I think there have always, at least for the last ten years, been a couple of rows right behind the visitors bench reserved for the opposing team. Usually family members and such. There probably some logic about creating a buffer zone as well, I imagine. I can't recall a time this section didn't exist, at least in the last ten years. And I can assure you I spent a lot of time in that section as a student and I sit right above it to this day. I don't believe we have any control of it and the Bobby Knight issues of last year had nothing to do with it. I might be more concerned if we had such a large student attendance at games that this was actually an issue but, sadly, we don't appear to have that problem either.
Eddie P
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:01 am

Eddie P wrote:JT Stang-

I could be wrong about this, but I think there have always, at least for the last ten years, been a couple of rows right behind the visitors bench reserved for the opposing team.

Well, that explains why I was so surprised--I've not sat down there in over ten years. Still don't like it, and some of the students around me seems surprised by it too. There seemed to me to be a lot of students behind the benches last night, pretty packed, not sure why everybody is up in arms about student attendance. Of course, from the floor it's hard to see what everybody up in the stands sees.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WorldStang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:03 am

Ok.. enough on the ranting. Yes.. we were outnumbered by the opponents team fans and it was embarrassing. Yes.. Hopkins has been somewhat of a disapointment.. he always seems to be rusty or thinks faster than his body can react?? I don't know.. but we've all seen flashes of what he was supposed to be.

All that being said.. this team is going to do well in the WAC. I really see us competing if we can get better looks on offense. The Defense is soooo much better than it was in the last 4 years. Hopefully that game serves as a wake-up call and we'll see how they react at Tech.

Am I optimistic after last night.. yes. But I"m also trying to understand how we played down to the level of UT-Tyler and Montana St. to squeak by with wins? If our offense can pick it up a notch and our defense plays like it did last night.. we'll beat most teams in the WAC and compete with the UTEPs and Rice caliber teams.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Re:

Postby jtstang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:06 am

WorldStang wrote:If our offense can pick it up a notch and our defense plays like it did last night.. we'll beat most teams in the WAC and compete with the UTEPs and Rice caliber teams.

Well, if our defense plays like it did the first ten minutes of each half, last night, otherwise it was pretty bad.
jtstang

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:07 am

RVG,
There were several DISD coaches and high school players scattered throughout Moody, including a few very highly regarded HS kids. If we're being truthful, the attendance breakdown was more like this – about 3,000 OSU, 1,500 basketball fans with no affiliation to SMU (including HS kids, coaches) and the usual 1,500 SMU alums and students. It really makes you wonder if SMU should be competing in division I athletics. I know, I know, start winning and they will come. Well, we were undefeated and playing one of the best teams in the country. There are no good excuses for last night's turnout.

Stealth,
I agree about the students not wearing our school colors, the same goes for our alums. By looking in the stands you definitely knew there was an orange team playing.

OldP,
Were you at the game?
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:25 pm

LA, don't get too frustrated, even schools like Winthrop are D-1 in basketball. As long as we have March Madness in basketball instead of BCS matchups, SMU will actually be in the upper half of the D-1 basketball universe. Thats not to dismiss our attendance problems. I will admit I was actually sitting in my seat fuming mad about the turnout by SMU fans at the start of the game. I dont know who I was mad at, just the world I guess. I can't stand being outnumbered or equaled in our own building. If we play well it morphs into a great environment, if we fall behind it turns into a real emotional beating because the only fans cheering are the opponents. Thats what happened last night. The opposite happened against Tech last year.

I think SMU can still draw a good basketball crowd for a good game. We've seen it over the past several years with Tulsa for example. The difference is that its still football season in Texas. Even SMU alums who are still thinking football between their high school affiliations, the Cowboys and all of our alums who have a soft spot for UT or Oklahoma. Basketball season just doesnt start in earnest for most people here until after New Years. Hell, truth be known, OSU's fan turnout wasnt really that great last night considering they probably have as many Metroplex alumni as we do. Are you guys telling me OSU can bring 15K to Ford Stadium but only brings 3K to Moody to welcome their Final Four, Top 5 Bball squad?
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:19 pm

Eddie P.-It seems that you believe our best player is who the opposing coach says it is. While many have called me anti- BHop, what I have consistently said was that he should prove something. We were all ready to annoint him as the next TJ Ford and the best player SMU ever recruited. It now appears that Bosh made him look better than he is. If you look at our most recent point guards (all of whom were the marked man for the opposition), who has played worse than BHop? Was it Rich? Hancock? Sasser? No one is more sorry than OP that BHop has not lived up to billing but no one can say he has played like we expected him to and retain any credibility. He has shown flashes of brilliance like Purdue last year but they have been few and far between. There have been way too many times that he has shot less than 25% from the field. I ask the questions "Was he trying to get the ball to his teammates? Were all 6 or 7 or how many 3's he took all shots with someone in his face? Were there 2 guarding him? Is he just outclassed by guys like Lucas? Can he not get open by himslf or does he have to have a screen". I think it is time that we quit calling him something he isn't. So far (and his career is 1/2 over) he has not held a candle to Rich, Sasser, Hancock as points nor Ross,Poerner, Davis, or even Mathews as a player. Do you think if we say he is great enough times that people will believe it?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:41 pm

OP, nothing is simple, but Hopkins did shoot over 40% from 3 point land last season. That is not bad. He shot 44% overall. He was an 80% free throw shooter, by far the best on the team. Those are full season stats. He has surprisingly started slow this year. You raise alot of valid questions about Bosh and double teams etc. All I can tell you is I saw BHop play several times in high school and you wouldn't believe the athleticism he had. Most people thought he was going to be in good shape this year and I think he is in better shape. but the fact is for whatever reason, either injury or his body changed, he is not nearly as explosive as he was. I have a hard time criticizing him for that. It happens. He is trying and playing hard, if not as consistently as all would like.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:44 pm

you mentioned his passing-well he did have 7-8 assists last nite( and a couple of nice plays were botched by his teammates) which ain't bad but I agree he tends to force his shot and he needs to cut the TOs in half. Very disappointing but hey we ain't going nowhere without him either. The best way for him to look at it was that he had a poor nite against a team we weren't suppose to beat anyway. Move on and make a difference in the games that will tell the story to our season.
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:56 pm

Not one mention of JC's OR recruiting better athletes?

This must be a first.
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball