PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

This team will win games!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

This team will win games!

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:25 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by the way the guys played tonight. I think our defense has improved, but we still can not guard the three, too many open looks for good shooters. We will win a lot of games in the WAC and Patrick and Eric will have good senior seasons. Patrick still remains my favorite player.

Pros -
1. Derreck Roberts - Kid is going to be good, hope Tubbs can develop him.
2. Got to the foul line a lot
3. Castro was playing pretty physical
4. Reay will be able to bang
5. Player rotation

Cons -
1. Our inside guys were tired.
2. Poor shot selection with poor shooting
3. Can't hit anything from the line
4. Looked a little disorganized on set-plays (Early?)
5. Hopkins (Not you Ryan)

All in all, I really do think we are a pretty good team. A NIT bid would be incredible!
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:34 pm

I was at the game and agree with your assessment.

We played a very good team with a lot of depth…it showed, both for them and us. Yes, BHop had an off night, but without him we are worse off. Good news is this will change next year (at least for 1 year) with the addition of Dez. Isham was decent and Derrick Roberts has star potential.

The game did lack electricity, not only for SMU fans but OSU fans as well. It simply never got loud.

Finally, I think we are NIT-worthy but will have a better sense of it all once we play Tech, TCU and Baylor.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:27 pm

let's have a successful non-conference slate before we start talking post season. Tonight's game would go a long ways towards offsetting the OSU loss. Beating Tech in Lubbock would be big for this program.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:42 pm

It is clear that we don't have near the type of athletes that are needed to compete with Big 12 teams. Hopefully our talent will be enough to win some games in the lowly WAC. This team might have a hard time winning 10 games this year against D1 teams.
PonySnob

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:24 pm

PonySnob wrote:It is clear that we don't have near the type of athletes that are needed to compete with Big 12 teams. Hopefully our talent will be enough to win some games in the lowly WAC. This team might have a hard time winning 10 games this year against D1 teams.

Who have we lost off last year's squad that beat T. Tech and Purdue, and nearly beat Wake Forest?
Right now it appears to me the big differences are Hopkins and Tubbs.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:30 pm

Chris Lowe must have been a superstar we were not aware of!

:lol:
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:37 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:Chris Lowe must have been a superstar we were not aware of!

:lol:

You're right, PF. Lowe was the difference between us beating 2 and hanging with a 3rd Top 25 team. How could I have forgotten the huge impact he had on the team his 4 years here.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Now I at least have something I can point to as being the difference.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Return to Basketball