PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Taking pressure off B-Hop

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Taking pressure off B-Hop

Postby PK » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:56 pm

From the Dallas Morning News:

SMU tries to take pressure off point

Starting lineup shuffled to help junior guard snap out of slump

10:41 PM CST on Tuesday, November 30, 2004

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – Just three games into the regular season, SMU is making lineup changes to help starting point guard Bryan Hopkins break a shooting slump.

For their game at Texas Tech tonight, SMU coaches will insert freshman Derrick Roberts into the starting lineup at shooting guard and move Justin Isham to small forward. That will send Devon Pearson to the bench. Pearson, normally a power forward, was playing out of position at small forward.

Hopkins had six turnovers against OSU and is 4-of-26 from the field in the last two games. The moves are designed to take pressure off Hopkins, who led the team in scoring last season.

With Roberts, Isham and Hopkins in the lineup, it allows the Mustangs to have three strong ballhandlers on the floor.

In the last two games, Hopkins has struggled with his shot. He's 4-of-26 from the field, including 0-of-13 from 3-point range. SMU coaches said Hopkins, a junior, is hurrying his shots, penetrating into traffic where there is no room and not directing the offense. Against Oklahoma State on Monday night, Hopkins finished with five points and six turnovers.

"He has to control the flow of the game," SMU coach Jimmy Tubbs said. "We're asking Hop to do things he's never been asked to do. I want a thinking man's point guard. Some want a scoring point guard. I want him to be different in terms of controlling the flow of the game."

Hopkins finished last season strong. He averaged 24.4 points a game the last five games to push his season scoring average to 17.7.

Hopkins is averaging 13.5 points in the first three games this season.

"Seems like I hit a slump every year," said Hopkins, a Lincoln product. "I've taken some pretty good shots, but they are not falling. I don't feel any extra pressure, and I'm not pressing. They are not falling right now."

E-mail cwatkins@dallasnews.com

SMU (2-1) at Texas Tech (2-1), 7 p.m. today, United Spirit Arena, Lubbock (Ch. 52; KAAM-AM 770)
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:35 am

So far, BHop has not lived up to all of the hype that he received when he came to the Hilltop. Hopefully Tubbs will be able to help him to develop into the kind of player that he was in high school - especially since he is costing the team two scholarships.
PonySnob

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:12 am

At least we are seeing some changes. Dement would have done NOTHING.
Pony_Fan

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:21 am

Agreed. The big change is perfectly reflected in this quote: "He has to control the flow of the game," SMU coach Jimmy Tubbs said. "We're asking Hop to do things he's never been asked to do. I want a thinking man's point guard. Some want a scoring point guard. I want him to be different in terms of controlling the flow of the game."

By "some" read Dement.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:22 pm

Thank you, coach Tubbs. That's music to my ears. I also want a thinking point guard and one who will distribute the ball and put up an assist:turnover ratio of 3 or 4:1. I don't like the fact that our point guard is being relied on to be our leading scorer night in and night out. If we have strong scorers on the wings and defenses focus on those positions and dare the point to score, then BHop can certainly knock 'em down from top of the key to open things up for the other guys. The question is whether Roberts and Isham can step up and become the outside shooters we need. I like the numbers we are seeing from the low post guys (in terms of shooting precentages), but I agree 100% with coach Tubbs that BHop is feeling like he has to carry this team and there are more ways to do that than simply leading the team in scoring.

I might add that I'm really looking forward to having an option to put two point guards on the floor at the same time next year when Willingham comes in.
Charleston Pony

Postby 50's PONY » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:22 pm

CP, you have it right! I believe that next year we will see Dez at the point and BHop at a more natural #2 guard and Roberts on the wing. This will give us the outside firepower and ball handling that we have wanted, and needed, for years.
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Basketball