PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BYE OPTIMISM

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BYE OPTIMISM

Postby Weir » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:53 pm

I'm not sure why we are so bad, but it is really really bad.
Weir

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:55 pm

Yep, it is so bad I turned it off. I can't even watch it. I really don't know why they are just god awful. It is embarassing.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:56 pm

SMU should stop playing Big 12 teams on TV. Last year it was the blow-out by OSU, this year it is the blow-out by Tech.
PonySnob

Postby Weir » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:57 pm

I've seen all of their home games in person but i haven't seen any tv games so i'm going to fight through it and watch it. They need some killer insticnt. Every time we score, we flash the talent we seem to have, but we have 100 mindless turnovers and our inside guys look willing to let tech shoot layups.
Weir

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:03 pm

Fourth game of the Tubbs era and you're jumping ship? Don't even try to claim allegiance to SMU. Yes, tonight's embarrassing, and with Hop in foul trouble, I expect we're in for a long second half. But don't suggest that the players should have ironed out all the wrinkles in Coach Tubbs' system in the first 3.5 games. And with Hop in a shooting slump like he is .... we don't know yet -- good or bad -- what this team can do. For god's sake, support them while they grow a little!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Knight and Sutton are better than Tubbs

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:42 pm

Look guys, Knight and Sutton are better coaches than Tubbs, but that is no disgrace. So far our two losses are excusable. However, the team's performance is troublesome. Let's see what happens in the next games to come before we judge what Tubbs can do.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:18 am

The players got the coach they wanted. They better start playing like they got the coach they wanted. That said, I figured last year this team was underachieving. Perhaps, they were overachieving in beating Purdue Nevada and Tech. We see right now where we are. The players that we have are not what we need to succeed. Bryan Hopkins is a good player. That's a blessing and a curse. When your point guard (who should be passing not shooting) is your best player, they tend to try and do too much, and the result is that player is less effective than a marginal point guard who stays within himself.
EastStang

Postby Ponymon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:56 am

I think that we have overrated the talent of this team. I was worried about this last year and said so. Many of you thought we would be immediately competitive, but the current juniors and seniors seem to have an attitude problem. I am not sure that they want to win badly enough. Simpson and Castro should be a strong presence under the basket yet it just has happened! They get consistently outrebounded every game. Their scoring is definitely inconsistent. Where was Simpson in this game? He only got 3 points after getting 20 against OSU! I am sure Knight put his best defender on him, but he was supposed to be a dominant type of player that should overcome this. Castro only had 8 and had NUMEROUS turnovers! While Tubbs did recruit several of the current players, he has had only a couple of months to coach them. Dement's coaching wasn't exceptional, which is one of the reasons he was canned. It will take at least two maybe three years for Tubbs to bring in fresh faces with the desire that he has to win. Once this occurs we will have a chance to be a truly competitive team, but not before.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:12 am

I agree with most of what you have said. I really didn't expect to win last night but at least see some improvement and maybe a decent game. These are the same guys minus Lowe that had some signs of being competitive at least last year.

Lineburg was able to assemble them into playing some decent hoops toward the end of last year. There are some new faces but 4 returning starters should be doing better than this. They all look like freshman to me making stupid mistakes and can't seem to synch it up at all. It seems to me there is no fire in them and competitive spirit except Reay. Hopkins looks completely defeated most of the time.

As I am not expecting post season, I would expect a little more than this with the current group. With the loss of Castro and Simpson, I guess we can expect this team to be competitive in 2007-2008 or after?? Can we really wait until then with the fanbase dwindling every year?
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:48 am

Dement couldn't coach and that is why these wonderful recruits of J Tubbs aren't producing? My, that is the most convoluted logic I have ever heard. They were much better under Dement until the babies quit trying. Now it appears that they are quitting again from many of the posts. People cling to the belief that Bhype is good. He has had some great games but for the most part he is a sub 25%shoter from 3 and a TO king-certainly if he plays really good competition. It is time to admit that we gave 2 scholarships for a mediocre to poor player. I don't care if he is all WAC-He doesn't deserve it and it is the hype following him. It will catch up this year and he won't be recognized at year end. Simpson plays one game then quits the next. So does Isham. There is a poison somewhere on this team. Now I'm told that Castro has quit hustling too. Someone in power better get this under control in a hurry or we'll have no fans left. There are fewer and fewer each year. Guess why? The pointy heads are winning if they haven't already won. We already have a 12 step program going on another line on the board for fans trying to quit caring. Maybe we should all join. First the Serenity Prayer...
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:02 pm

OldPony wrote:People cling to the belief that Bhype is good. He has had some great games but for the most part he is a sub 25%shoter from 3 and a TO king-certainly if he plays really good competition. It is time to admit that we gave 2 scholarships for a mediocre to poor player. I don't care if he is all WAC-He doesn't deserve it and it is the hype following him. It will catch up this year and he won't be recognized at year end.

Bhype is clearly the most over-rated player that SMU has recruited in the last 10 years. It was probably pretty easy to look good on his high school team since it had NBA talent on it. Would it be possible to put his brother on an academic scholarship for next year instead of using up a hoops scholarship?
PonySnob

Return to Basketball