PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HUMILIATION!!!!!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

HUMILIATION!!!!!!!

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:15 pm

SMU has three senior starters in it's lineup, with a junior in Hopkins, and we looked like a Division III school!!!!!!! This is a very bad joke our athletic program is playing on us.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

It will only get better if we demand it

Postby BigEasyPony » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:48 pm

SMU will never be better if we don't demand it from our administrators and coaches. It's way too early to judge Tubbs, but this was embarrasing.

The team looks awful. I almost thought Dement was back coaching. As for the team not having the athletes to play Tubbs' system. Are you kidding me? Change your coaching style to suit your players if that's the case. This is more an indictment of SMU than anyone HC, but this is pathetic.
BigEasyPony
Junior Varsity

Postby TLBGator » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:59 am

Although it was a disgusting display... I find it difficult to agree with you BigEasy about it looking like Dement coaching again. I believe last year we won by three with Dement as our coach. It looks more like Tubbs coaching to tell you the truth. UT Tyler- albeit a win was nothing to boast about, Montana State- We stuck it it out, but should not have been that close, OK State- ... Texas Tech- Disgraceful. Although I will give Tubbs a chance, as we are only .500 for the season, it looks WAY WORSE than Dement.
word.
TLBGator
Recruit

Postby Corso » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:44 am

These guys are learning the system and each other - and you sound like you're ready to shoot them. Yes, I was as disgusted as you all were. But let's not go nuts and give up on our team.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby 2112 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:58 am

Let's not forget about the guy's on the floor! This team has alot of experience, and this is basically the same team from last year. Another way to look at that point is, this is also the same group of men that flat out QUIT last year. They were out played and out hustled in EVERY phase of the game last night. This was a total DISGRACE to the program!
Heisman

Postby Ponymon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:05 am

And Tubbs is stuck with them until he can get his own recruits in over the next couple of years. His coaching for only a couple of months probably can't overcome the years of bad attitude under Dement. The juniors and seniors will probably not improve, but I have hope for the sophmores and freshmen.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:08 am

These ARE his recruits. He is the reason these seniors and juniors are at SMU, he recruited them before he went to OU.

That was one of the things he had going for him in the search for a coach is that he knew these guys, and they had an existing relationship with him.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:34 pm

BUT he hasn't COACHED them for well OVER 2 years! Bad habits ARE hard to change. Thats why you get PLUMPER every year!!!!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:05 pm

Ponymon wrote:And Tubbs is stuck with them until he can get his own recruits in over the next couple of years.

So it looks like 2007 before we can field a competitive basketball team?
PonySnob

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:15 pm

yes as long as we haven't hired our 6th straight moron! Once again a new hire deflects criticism from where it SHOULD BE placed for at least 3 more years. How many times are you people going to fall for this?
Stallion

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:37 pm

...and the "beat" goes on.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:40 pm

Hey the restrictions are still there to a degree, but not to the point they were in the past. The players got the coach they wanted, but aren't playing like they should. What do you do? Could we have an athlete friendly major? Yes. Could we ease up on JUCO restrictions a bit? We have and we could. Do we need more modern basketball facilities? Yes. But will they get it done. I think before the administration signs off on more changes it wants to see improvement from what we've done so far. And quite frankly, the improvement is slow and painful at best. All I can say is that our quality wins last year were clearly flukes because this team does not have the talent to win against good teams on a consistent basis. And as we all know, talent matters a whole lot in basketball. Without 2 or 3 legitimate superstars, you sit home in March. SMU has 1/2 a superstar and it changes on a game by game basis. That won't do it.
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:52 pm

gee thanks Administration for all you've done. BTW those following college Basketball know that OSU is perhaps the best example of an NCAA school whose team was built with Division 1A transfers. Texas Tech relies heavily on JUCOs. SMU makes excuses and pounds its chests about graduation rates.
Stallion

Postby OldPony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:46 pm

There are many teams with no better talent than SMU who play decent basketball. For most of Dement's tenure,we played decent ball until these guys quit last year. Maybe not tourney good but decent. This year it is indecent. This year's performance is not just a talent issue. My guess is that these guys have already laid down on Tubbs too. However, everyone wanted to credit Tubbs with these recruits so now they are his responsibility. What we may be finding out is that just because someone has good Dallas ties and coached good HS ball, that doesn't necessarily relate to college ball.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:21 pm

we certainly have to hope this was one bad outing last night (not that the 1st three games were anything to write home about). Hey, as that the same TTech team that was embarrased at TCU? Let's hope our guys respond to this humiliating defeat as TTech did to their debacle at TCU. That game in Ft Worth is shaping up as an early season clue to whether there is any hope for this year's team.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball