PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Please tell me

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Please tell me

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:34 pm

that the flu hit the entire SMU team today or something. I have never seen an effort so pathetic, not from anyone, much less a group of seniors. I hate to pick on people but I mean Castro looked sick out there. He didnt have a clue in the world. Nobody else did either. Something was very wrong tonight to say the least. These are good kids, I just refuse to believe they are quitters, but they didnt show an ounce of pride tonight. I know Coach Tubbs has plenty of pride. I cant believe the guys let him down like that. All you can do is regroup.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:07 am

What about last year doesn't make you think this team is a bunch of quitters. If they played for their own pride last year would not have happened. I hope they get it on track and soon, otherwise we are in for a long, long year.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:35 am

I’m really at a loss. I hate to admit it but I now expect the worse from all SMU teams. It seems that we (the very few diehard SMU fans) get slapped in the face with disappoint time after time. It never fails.

Last night’s game was the most disappointed I’ve been in a Mustang team, maybe ever. There was zero effort from anyone wearing a Mustang uniform (except Reay, that guy busts his [deleted]). I know our players are good guys and they really do want to win but this falls squarely on them. You can’t blame Coach Tubbs for last night. This is the most inconsistent group of guys ever. One night Simpson plays great and Isham, Pearson and Hop don’t show up. The next night Isham and Pearson play decent and Simpson disappears. This has been a common theme the past few years.

There's not much to be optimistic about right now. We struggled by two very bad teams and got blown out playing two good teams (and Tech's not really that good). Four games into his HC career and Coach Tubbs is already facing a huge test. Will he get these guys back on track or will they simply quit on him. They’ve done it before, ask Mike Dement.
LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 pm

don't you think part of that inconsistent play stems from the fact that we have guys who are not consistently good shooters. They run hot-and-cold. I think Dement saw that he wasn't going to compete with Big 12 schools for the top prospects so you recruit a step down with players with some weaknesses in their game. Instead of a complete player you get an Isham whose a great athlete but a poor shot or a Castro who is big and strong but slow of foot. Think back to the Longino, Armstrong, Alexander etc days. We had 3 plus guys you would have confidence to hit a wide open 20 jumper to win the game. Right now I don't think we have one player I'm confident could hit the rim. This is partly recruiting too-not just the lack of pure athleticism but the lack of BB skills.
Stallion

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Stallion wrote: .... Think back to the Longino, Armstrong, Alexander etc days....

Anyone know what those guys are doing today?
I hear Alexander's coming back as a linebacker next year.

And Hoop Fan is right. All we can do is re-group. I hope the players are embarrassed and come out breathing fire against Texas State. They are better than what we've seen so far.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:58 pm

Stallion wrote:don't you think part of that inconsistent play stems from the fact that we have guys who are not consistently good shooters. They run hot-and-cold. I think Dement saw that he wasn't going to compete with Big 12 schools for the top prospects so you recruit a step down with players with some weaknesses in their game. Instead of a complete player you get an Isham whose a great athlete but a poor shot or a Castro who is big and strong but slow of foot. Think back to the Longino, Armstrong, Alexander etc days. We had 3 plus guys you would have confidence to hit a wide open 20 jumper to win the game. Right now I don't think we have one player I'm confident could hit the rim. This is partly recruiting too-not just the lack of pure athleticism but the lack of BB skills.

yes it does. I dont think there is any question nearly all of our players have a major weakness of some kind. The ironic thing is we lack both shooting ability and physical toughness, usually you have one or the other even on an average team. We have several guys who can run the floor and show athleticism. That only goes so far. I dont think its a matter of having a coach who can motivate the boys, this appears to be a case of how commited guys are to basketball and their teammates and coaches. Unless we were physically ill, there was no excuse for last night. Everybody who has played sports has had bad nights where the energy just wasnt there. It happens over the season, but last night was so bad it makes you wonder.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball