PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Athletics needs Culture Change

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Athletics needs Culture Change

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:26 am

Its time for Big Jim to step down and let someone with enthusiasm come in and get us re-energized. SMU is years away in so many sports and we keep getting fed the line to be patient when in fact there is no strategy or commitment.I think we also need someone who will get the Dallas Media talking about the hilltop again.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Johnny Rock » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:47 am

It is not Big Jim's fault for the lack of success in revenue sports. It is the Board of Trustee's policies regarding athletics. Until SMU lowers its admission standards for athletes (see TCU, N. Texas, La. Tech, Tx. Tech, etc.), it will not be successful in either basketball or football. A new A.D. will not change the policies. I feel bad for the athletic department at SMU because they get little support from the school. Why can't SMU take some money from its endowment fund to upgrade our athletic facilities? With respect to basketball, Tubbs does have great local connections but why would a player come to SMU with outdated facilities and an adminstration that does not back the program 100% when the kid can go to Baylor, TCU, or Tx. Tech, etc? It comes down to this....SMU better make changes and make them fast if it ever want to compete in Division 1-A revenue sports.
Johnny Rock

Re:

Postby jtstang » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:47 am

Johnny Rock wrote:Until SMU lowers its admission standards for athletes (see TCU, N. Texas, La. Tech, Tx. Tech, etc.), it will not be successful in either basketball or football.

Remind me again--what are the admission standards now?
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball