PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU v. Baylor for the GW Bush Library

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU v. Baylor for the GW Bush Library

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:37 pm

Know it is not Basketball - But please go and vote at the following site . . . Baylor is killing us - and so is Texas Tech! THis would be a big win for SMU if they can get the Library on the Mrs Bairds land . . .

http://www.gopusa.com/texas/
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU v. Baylor for the GW Bush Library

Postby jtstang » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:45 pm

PonyTime wrote:Know it is not Basketball - But please go and vote at the following site . . . Baylor is killing us - and so is Texas Tech! THis would be a big win for SMU if they can get the Library on the Mrs Bairds land . . .

Psst...hey buddy...I don't think they're picking the site based on the results of an internet poll. Just a thought....
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BrianTinBigD » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:09 pm

Tech and Baylor are 2 of the ugliest campuses in America. the only reason that Baylor gets consideration is that Crawford is close by. otherwise Baylor is not even close to being to being considered. As for the Sand Aggies getting the library is even more outrageous. There is nothing nicer than smelling that fresh south breeze blowing into Lubbock through the feed lots to make you want to reconsider even visiting Lubbock. SMU may not be a lock but I would place our odds at 2-1. Baylor is a 10-1 and Lubbock is 20-1. Crawford is more likely to get the library than those 2 locations. Of course another possible location I heard floated the other day is in Arlington as part of the Cowboy/Ranger Development.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:35 pm

There were some excellent articles recently regarding the Clinton library.

Consensus is that after the initial fan-fare, for these Presidential libraries to succeed long-term they must be able to attract prominent international figures to their site.

Huge advantage SMU.

PS – JT’s comment about our Board of Trustees being all-WAC was classic.
SoCal_Pony

Re: SMU v. Baylor for the GW Bush Library

Postby PonyTime » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:37 pm

jtstang wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Know it is not Basketball - But please go and vote at the following site . . . Baylor is killing us - and so is Texas Tech! THis would be a big win for SMU if they can get the Library on the Mrs Bairds land . . .

Psst...hey buddy...I don't think they're picking the site based on the results of an internet poll. Just a thought....

Really JT????? . . . . You are Brilliant! :lol:
PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:34 pm

Look for the Bushes to move back to the Park Cities and go to the ranch for their R&R. Library will be on campus (but not at Mrs Baird's). Look for the Cheneys to return to "the bubble", also.
Bergermeister

Re:

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:35 pm

BrianTinBigD wrote:As for the Sand Aggies getting the library is even more outrageous.

Can any of them even read?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:53 pm

Posted by me on March 20, 2004 (Hilltop Perspectives)

"It seems obvious that SMU is really serious about making the east quad the gateway to campus.

That effort complements another potential construction project. If SMU is awarded a presidential library it likely would be located where SMU Boulevard meets North Central Expressway – at the southwest corner – currently the site of SMU’s throwing complex and two story brick apartments."

If SMU gets the GWB Library, SMU Blvd. will connect the campus with the library. That is the strategy as I understand it - not the Mrs. Baird's site
Cheesesteak
All-American

Re:

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:57 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
BrianTinBigD wrote:As for the Sand Aggies getting the library is even more outrageous.

Can any of them even read?

The Sand Aggies or the Bushes?
Of course Laura can read - she went to SMU.

(Put the knives down, it was a joke.)
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:30 pm

Given the choice between a new basketball arena and the Bush library the choice for the arena would be a slam dunk. We already spend too little on athletic facilities, understanding most of the library money would come from elsewhere.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re:

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:29 am

Diehard Pony wrote:Given the choice between a new basketball arena and the Bush library the choice for the arena would be a slam dunk....

Agreed.
That and a new (or renovated) natatorium and soccer field.
Thumper
Varsity

Re:

Postby Dutch » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 am

Bergermeister wrote:Look for the Bushes to move back to the Park Cities

This would imply that they once lived in the Park Cities. They actually didn't, they lived in Preston Hollow on Northwood about 4 or 5 houses east of Preston.

Unless you're counting Laura's years at SMU, but she wasn't a Bush then.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:21 pm

I hate to pile it on Bergermeister, but I believe the Cheney's lived in Houston and not Dallas. So if they moved to the bubble they wouldn't be returning. Am I right?
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Cheney was on the board of trustees, so it would sort of be returning.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:31 pm

Now I'm thinking-how about coordinating the new Bush Library with the remodeling/construction of a new BB arena as an added amenity to the Bush Library- a sort of Convocation Center for Lectures, Ceremonies and Special Events. Is their ANY coupling potential in the two projects? Just kickin an idea around to get the added funding. What do you think.
Stallion

Next

Return to Basketball