PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TEXAS STATE GAME OBSERVATIONS

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TEXAS STATE GAME OBSERVATIONS

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:32 pm

While we won by a reasonable margin, it was another lackluster performance at best. Defense, either on transition, or in the half court was poor, and many Tx State shots went uncontested.

The style of play continues to be the Dement half court game despite Tubb's stated plans to run an uptempo game. Absolutely nothing uptempo or entertaining about it.

The only very small silver lining was that Hopkins was 5 of 10 from 3 pts, but that is partially because Tx State did not put a hand in his face like Texas Tech did. Hopkins was 4-28 on 3 pointers coming into the game.

Without a miracle turnaround, I would expect TCU to embarrass us about like Tech did. I would also expect us to finish at or near the bottom of the WAC without change.

Wish I could be more positive, but I am reporting the facts that myself and about 500 others witnessed.

I'm still scratching my head over why Jimmy is not having them push the ball as he has stated he would do. The few times they did it they looked more confident and in sync.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:05 pm

well, if you are going to play up tempo and go all out man to man for 40 minutes, you'd better have a roster of 10 guys who can give you quality minutes. Looking at the rotation and minutes guys are getting, it certainly doesn't appear coach Tubbs thinks he's got those 10 guys, especially at the guard positions. Looks like it's going to take a few years before we will know if this coaching change is going to make any difference in SMU's basketball fortunes.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:08 pm

It appears to me that it already has made a difference. The problem is that the change is for the worse. Dement never had a tam this bad. I hope JT can turn it around but so far it lkooks bad.
OldPony
Heisman

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:well, if you are going to play up tempo and go all out man to man for 40 minutes, you'd better have a roster of 10 guys who can give you quality minutes. Looking at the rotation and minutes guys are getting, it certainly doesn't appear coach Tubbs thinks he's got those 10 guys, especially at the guard positions. Looks like it's going to take a few years before we will know if this coaching change is going to make any difference in SMU's basketball fortunes.

CP, he has the same guys who beat Texas Tech and Purdue and pushed Wake to the wire last year. He also said he was going to run this year.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:37 am

I was so upset over the debacle I skipped this one. 1st home game I have skipped in a long while. Saturday nights don't help the attendance much.

For whatever reason, we are in worse shape than at this point last year. I am surprised but I guess we have to live with the fact this is a 7th or 8th place team in the WAC. Wow, I really hated Dement's offense but this has been otrocious thus far. I am worried about every single WAC road game...even SJSU and Tulsa.

Clear and simple, we have no pure shooters who are going to light it up like Carl English or Chris Herron.

I am afraid TCU is going to eat this team up.

As far as up tempo and pushing the ball, Bhop can't lead a fast break very well and only Isham can run up the court with any speed. Plus, you need steals and less TO's.
Pony_Fan

Postby braginator » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:47 pm

Nice to see your true colors Pony_Fan. Skip a game b/c of how we lost the last one, that is sad!!! Aftet the debacle at Texas Tech our players needed our support more than ever in an effort to turn this thing around and get back on the right track before conference play begins. Nice supoort. :cry:
braginator
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:42 pm

braginator wrote:Nice to see your true colors Pony_Fan. Skip a game b/c of how we lost the last one, that is sad!!! Aftet the debacle at Texas Tech our players needed our support more than ever in an effort to turn this thing around and get back on the right track before conference play begins. Nice supoort. :cry:

PF was not the only one who skipped last night's game and, as he said, he rarely misses one. I was there, and I can attest that very, very few showed up.
I think many of us dragged ourselves through the back half of the football season in hopes that basketball would bring some joy. I believe many are very disappointed already. Cut PF some slack, I almost didn't go as well.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby braginator » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:50 pm

But u did go. Not going is chickenshi*t and i think that as i said in abother post that this game was one in which anyone who supported the ponies needed to attend in order to shwo we ahve given up on the team.
braginator
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:51 pm

braginator wrote:Nice to see your true colors Pony_Fan. Skip a game b/c of how we lost the last one, that is sad!!! Aftet the debacle at Texas Tech our players needed our support more than ever in an effort to turn this thing around and get back on the right track before conference play begins. Nice supoort. :cry:

Gimme a break. I don't need to defend myself. I have struggled thru the pathetic fball season and was somewhat excited about the bball season to be extremely concerned and disappointed based on my expectations of 4 returning starters and 2 seniors. It's early but I have yet to see anything that makes me think this team will be competitive or beat teams it shouldn't.
Pony_Fan

Postby braginator » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:59 pm

We all struggled through it this year and for as many as most of us have been around SMU, but that is no reasont o stop going. I am not trying to make this personal i addressed u b/c of ur lack of attendance, but really this goes to everyone who has given up already. Remember we have only played five games and the season is four more months long.
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, I didnt make it last night either. Not because of the Tech game, just because I had two other things going on that demanded my time. I try never to miss a game, but there is something to the fact that SMU's cumulative and recent performance in the revenue sports makes it hard for people to justify forsaking everything else to make sure they make games.
Hoop Fan

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:30 pm

HF, my feelings are entirely consistent with yours.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:03 pm

Diehard: it's true Tubbs has the same guys Dement had last year...no more depth than last year except we replace some experienced guys with frosh. The lack of depth (and match up talent) is why Dement ran so much zone. Playing man is much more demanding physically...if you are playing GOOD man defense. Look at the minutes these guys are playing and it tells the story. If you have a solid back up at each position, you might see the starter going 25 minutes while his backup gets only 15. We've got a juggling roation and too many guys playing 35 minutes. Even a quality frosh backing up a strong senior can give that starter 10 minutes of game time rest. That's my concern.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball