PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let's work to build a NEW COLISEUM

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Let's work to build a NEW COLISEUM

Postby Stampede » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:29 pm

All administrators and fans should put this on the short list of highest priorities!!! Tubbs can out-recruit 'em given proper facilities.
We need to take advantage of this very important point and not let these important years slip by and away from us.

If SMU has a building under construction like the new Center for Lifetime Sports, SMU would get a tremendous amount of the players around the region. Our facility simply has to get done and under construction.

Any ideas out there for major corporate sponsors, call Chris Walker at the Mustang Club.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:52 pm

I don't know how donations work or anything about the endowment...but how did they raise $500 million or whatever - there are probably 15 new bldgs since I graduated. Please enlighten me where all this money came from.

And for Ford Stadium.... how much did Ford donate vs the rest?
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:14 pm

Would it not make much more sense just to renovate Moody? We could put on a flashy exterior, improve the interior, and make the inside look much better without ruining the great feel of Moody when full. I much perfer the cramped, vertical, loud feeling of Moody to modern arenas like Tulsa, with their low slope and open feel.
couch 'em

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:56 pm

Would you still get the t-shirt concession, Stampede? How does that work? Your place at Ford / Moody..? Lease? Bid? Curious....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Spaz » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:24 pm

I agree with Couch 'em. The general setup of Moody is great. I've been to the arenas in Tulsa and Fresno, and frankly, I feel like I might as well be watching a game on TV. Placing the fans so close to the opposing team's bench puts pressure on that team. It's a fun place to go, but it just needs some new additions, like a new scoreboard. And the crappy screens with the 8-bit animation is really old. Plus, what's to say we'll fill a brand new arena if we're complaining about the attendence on this one. Give the people more reasons to come to what we have.
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:00 pm

A new scoreboard is essential. They spent $75k on new goal posts!!
Pony_Fan

Postby SenorMatt24 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:16 pm

But those aren't just any old goal posts :P....they are....special...
Thats what I thought.
SenorMatt24

Postby couch 'em » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:40 pm

One thing that gets me is the concession prices. Geeze, it's insane. You cannot get a drink (small) and any type of food other than a bad of M&Ms for $5 or less. I usually don't get food at games (for this reason) but MustangSally pointed it out at the women's game today. If I were a parent, I would be more likely to spend $2 on a hot dog and $1.50 on my wife and kid ($10.50 total) than I am to ever plop down $2.50 for a small drink and $3 for a hot dog ($16.50 total). I'll go to McDonalds (well, wendy's) afterward and eat more for less. SMU hotdog: $3. Three texas doubles: $3.18 Think about it.
couch 'em

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:09 am

Pony_Fan wrote:I don't know how donations work or anything about the endowment...but how did they raise $500 million or whatever - there are probably 15 new bldgs since I graduated. Please enlighten me where all this money came from.

And for Ford Stadium.... how much did Ford donate vs the rest?

PF, the buildings came from SMU's $500 Capital Campaign which was theoretically going to include a major renovation of Moody with suites, diamondvision, the whole bit. Unfortunately Moody was too far down on the list. The plans still exist. The monies came from foundations, major individual donors, and corporations. It was a major coup by Gerald Turner but I hate there wasn't enough left for Moody. Gerald T. has stated Moody is still on the list, but I think someone is going to have to step up.

As to Ford, Gerald J. gave $20M; the Hunts $11M, and down from there. About a half dozen people / families paid for the vast majority of it.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:59 am

Two remaining athletic facility needs are a 1) Rennovated Moody with a new practice practice court for Men and Women's BB and Volleyball and 2) a new Natatorium.

I like the current Moody layout, e.g. initimate, and like rennovation, which saves dollars and, more importantly, land, which is scare.
Water Pony

Postby DiamondM75 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:10 pm

The rennovation plan for Moody is to push the outside walls out to allow for more concession, restroom, office and corridor room. I think the actual arena area is to remain pretty much the same, just some rennovation and updating. I really would hate to see the arena changed. Moody is a great place to watch basketball and it can get so loud.

I remember watching games in the '70's and going home with my ears ringing. Maybe that is why I have some hearing loss these days. But don't tell my PI attorney.

We really do need a practice facility, maybe we could use the tennis courts just east of Moody for a practice facility. Then we could move the tennis courts just east of Dedman, where the temporary engineeting building is located. I think this area will be available when the new engineering building is completed.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangSally » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:25 pm

Concessions are definitely a nightmare, not just the prices, but the whole freaking setup. At the OSU game, there were three cowpoke fans behind me in line. We waited and waited, and hardly moved in 10 minutes, and they said 'this is ridiculous' and went back to their seats. I can't imagine how many casual fans we have pissed off just at the concessions stand. Here's how a trip to get a hot dog and a coke usually goes for me:
-Walk into portal, look to my left and see blob of people, I am to assume this is the 'line'
-Merge into the blob from the back left edge and patiently grunt and work my way forward, the entire time watching people walk up and go to either side of the blob (rather than waiting at the back). These people find some dude off to the side filling a coke, flag him down and all of a sudden, they are walking off with food as Im still at the back of the line.
-Finally get up to counter and I've already calculated that a medium coke and hot will cost me 6 bucks. I stand there looking straight ahead at someone who is filling a soda, and even though I've seen him take 5 other people's orders, he doesnt take mine.
-I say I want a '32 oz coke and a hot dog' and hold out my 6 dollars. About a minute and a half later, the guys behind the counter have decided that I do in fact owe 6 dollars, and they take my cash.
-Take my drink and hot dog, turn 180 degrees, and then fight my way back through the mob. I'm happy, this time only took 12 minutes.

Yes, the hallways are small and Moody is old, but couldn't there be a better system in place to handle the crowds? How about a roped off 'line' that you wait in? Or 2 lines, one going to the left of the counter, 1 to the right, the middle is open for people who just got their food and are exiting the high-spill area. This would keep the mass line/blob waiting from completely blocking the entire hallway. Also, maybe designate people as 'money-takers' and 'drink-fillers' behind the counter. There's always a little confusion/transition time when I tell someone what I want, but as he's getting mine, someone else is handing him money and he's distracted. Before long, 3 different people have started filling my drink, but I still don't have it.

Like couch'em said, the prices are just killer. I know there must be some sort of contractual deal that explains why, but I just dont see it. I went to my high school's playoff game 2 weeks ago and went to the concessions stand there. Used to SMU's prices, I pulled out a 20, but quickly found that 20 oz bottles of Pepsi drinks were a dollar, hamburgers were 2, hot dogs were a dollar, candy was a dollar, popcorn was 50 cents. I got stuff for 3 of us for about 5-6 bucks.

I'm sure there's some answer to this (the prices, not the lines, those are inexcusable), but I'm just fed up.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Could just be me, but concessions are pretty far down the food chain of my concerns about Moody as a facility, and the quality of basketball being played on the court.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby MustangSally » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:51 pm

Diehard, trust me, concessions aren't my number 1 concern either. BUT, they seem like something that could be fixed TODAY. SMU has not a lot of casual fans and needs to do all it can to keep them there. Sure winning seems the best option there, but families can should still be able to come to our games and have a great time, even if we lose. That sounds bad, but it just pisses me to think that every facet of SMU basketball is turning people away, from the play on the court all the way down to the big lines for expensive cokes. Does that make a little more sense?
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Stampede » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:12 pm

Interesting ... but let's all try and stay on point of the subject. This is not a "what is wrong with Moody" post. Let's try and renovate or build a new coliseum.

P.S. Answer to: Hixon to Levias, I have not even thought about that point...let's get Moody renovated with practice facilities and I will think about that then.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball