PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

IMO THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THE LEVEL OF PLAY THUS FAR

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby alibaba » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:33 am

Hopkins was ranked in the top 50 players in the country. Castro was highly ranked coming out of Oklahoma. Simspon was the number one player in the state of Colorado. Roberts was the number one scorer in the state of Texas last year. Isham was the number 6 ranked player in Texas in a good class. Pearson was very highly ranked in the state of florida. It may be we have so many scorers and not many role players, that there are just not enough shots to go around. It might also be that we have a lot of guys who like to play up tempo and have just never adjusted to a slow down game. When you have a lot of offensive players and are trying to put in a defensive oriented sytem ie oklahoma it just doesnt seem to work. we need to try and imporve our transition game( we got two fast break points yesterday and quit shooting so many threes if we cannot hit them.. Just a thought
alibaba

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 am

We have scorers on this team??? You could’ve fooled me. As far as I can tell, we have a lot of role players and no scorers. Roberts is the only exception, but he's still learning the college game.

In typical SMU sunshiner fashion, allow me to bring up next year when we will add a legit true scorer in Dez Willingham. Hopefully, I’m still interested enough to care by then.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby alibaba » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:09 am

The players all scored before they got here. What do you think happened?
alibaba

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:45 am

They are now playing against division I talent and not high school players. I believe Castro, Isham, Simpson and Pearson each averaged about 20 pts/game their senior year. Most division I players average 20 pts or more in high school but that doesn’t guarantee a big-time scorer in college.

Isham played against the tougher competition of these four and I did expect him to be more of a scorer for us. Throughout his career he has shown flashes but has never consistently produced.
LA_Mustang

Postby couch 'em » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:46 am

They stopped playing crappy highschool kids and had to start playing other players, most of whom were also some sort of standout where they came from.
couch 'em

Postby Diehard Pony » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:52 pm

None of our returning players are performing at the level they were last year. They have all taken big steps backward, and they are SENIORS for the most part.

We finally have a veteran squad in one of the revenue sports and they perform to the "we're so young" level. Wouldn't you know it!
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:51 pm

I haven't seen the team play this year so I can't comment as some of you have about the lack of aggressiveness, heart, whatever...

While I'm disappointed with the failure of our tem to compete against OSU, TTech and TCU and our not winning the 3 games we have by a more comfortable margin, the team is 3-3 and pretty much where I expected they would be. Now, if they can win the next two at home, they enter WAC play at 5-3 and that's pretty much what I expected.

I will admit that with 4 returning upperclass starters and a new coach I thought would instill a tougher attitude, I figured this was the year SMU has to earn a post-season invite. The only way we sniff the NCAA Tourney is to win the WAC regular season or WAC Tourney. This team has a long wasys to go to show me they can accomplish that. The better question is whether they could put together a 12-6 record in WAC play, win at least a 1st round game in WAC Tourney play and finish 18-10 and possibly get an NIT bid? Right now, that looks like a pipedream, but I will hang onto that dream as long as they will let me. Even CP's eternal optimism is fading...but if these guys ultimately disappoint, there's always spring football where SMU always goes unbeaten.

Long live Kato Armstrong!
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:42 am

CP,

It's probably a very good thing you have not seen the Ponies play so far. You would puke. Maybe if you were on the end of the bench with your optimism that might help but right now, these guys stink..period.

Hope the Ms. is well.

Take care.
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Basketball