PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Parking problems at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Parking problems at SMU

Postby True Colors » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:48 pm

Went to the game last night to watch my beloved Baylor Bears get demolished by the SMU Mustangs. Although the SMU victory did not surprise me greatly, the lack of parking around the arena certainly did.

Normally I will go to Moody for games at least a couple of times per season, and this is the first time that I can ever recall the parking garage being closed to fans. The lady standing at the entrance would not answer my question about why it was not available, or if a new policy had been implemented which would be in place permanently.

So what is the deal?

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:00 pm

It's now being used for media parking I know, but I thought you could still pay to park there. Was that not the case? In general, SMU is making it harder and harder to park anywhere on campus. They really do a good job of making visitors feel unwelcome.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Copeland strikes again :twisted:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:11 pm

Join the club. A sign: "Season Ticket Holder Parking" or "Parking Pass Required" posted on the curb would have helped. I did the same thing. You turn in and THEN they tell you"NO", you back into the car behind you, cuss a little and go on. The cars in front of me did the same thing. I had to back up so they could. The Rent-A-Cops need to be better informed. That is the job of the Athletic Office (somewhere down the line). It's just not worth it to go back. Between the parking fiasco, the Jungle Fever/Animal Planet halftime and a mediocre performance against a ragtag team, it was just more that I could endure. Hope we win the rest and hope some are on TV!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:50 pm

The garage is being used for media because the street outside Moody is being repaired/upgraded and the limited spaces are being held for the folks who give a lot of money. Inconvenient, perhaps, but good business. Those guys' donations are vital to SMU athletics, and the last thing we need is to hack them off. I'm willing to walk a little further to make sure there are games to go to.

And you're absolutely right - there should be signs out to let folks know about the restrictions in the garage.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:08 pm

Bergermeister wrote: Between the parking fiasco, the Jungle Fever/Animal Planet halftime and a mediocre performance against a ragtag team, it was just more that I could endure. Hope we win the rest and hope some are on TV!

To each his own, but about the mediocre performance, what did you expect? A 34 point win was not up to your expectations for this team last night? I think most people would agree that SMU played well last night.
Hoop Fan

Postby Peruna88 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:25 pm

The garage is open and free for Lady Mustangs' games. Come on out!
Peruna88
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:14 pm

buy season tickets and a parking pass for the garage . no problem.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:57 am

I must say, if you were a out of town or visiting person, the parking is a nightmare around SMU and should be improved. Yes, we [deleted] a lot on this board but most of it is very worthy and should be paid attention to. Especially since we are the ONLY ones going to the games....

:D

Didn't somene volunteer to contact someone for the SMU Moody signage on 75 exit north and south?
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby jtstang » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:07 am

DallasDiehard wrote:The garage is being used for media because the street outside Moody is being repaired/upgraded and the limited spaces are being held for the folks who give a lot of money. Inconvenient, perhaps, but good business. Those guys' donations are vital to SMU athletics, and the last thing we need is to hack them off. I'm willing to walk a little further to make sure there are games to go to.

Please, check the blue courtside seats--those big givers don't even go to the games.
jtstang

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:01 am

When I purchased my season BB tickets (not blue seats) I also purchased a garage pass. I recall the cost was $5.00 a game, which is not bad considering the convenience. The key is to buy season tickets, which everyone should be encouraged to do even if you can not make all the games.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:16 am

This is a short term problem. With all the construction and improvements going on the SMU campus, the parking is a huge problem. Streets are closed or cut down to one lane, parking areas are being used for construction lots, etc. When the new engineering building is completed, more parking will be available along Binkley. When the Dedman Life Sports Center is complete, more parking will be available on the south of Moody. And then the parking garage at Binkley and Airline will be constructed. This garage will not only provide parking for Moody, but also is convenient to Ford.

Be patient folks, better parking and access is coming. We are currently paying the price for long term improvement.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:03 pm

Problem Solved!!

Conference play is just around the corner.
SoCal_Pony

come on, guys

Postby Demented in Dallas » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:18 am

Let's not complain too much about the parking. Does everyone expect to park across the street from Moody? Let's not be too spoiled here.
Granted, they should have signs posted as to who can get in the garage and who can't. But beyond that, we have far greater things to gripe about.

My suggestions for parking:
1 - Parking on the street on either Drexel or St. John's on the other side of Mockingbird offers a short (500 yards) walk to Moody. You only have to cross with the light at Mockingbird/Airline, and then pass the stadium on our new brick-covered walkway. It's easy to get out of there after the game, too, since all of your turns are to the right to get to 75.
2 - Park behind the student tennis courts along SMU Blvd. This leaves only about 200 yards to Moody. They're tighter spaces, but it's easy in and easy out to get back to 75. Anyone who would complain about the distance to those spaces is just plain nuts, or spoiled.
3 - Why don't you suggest to Copeland or the Mustang Club to initiate Valet Parking at the entrance to the garage, or along Airline. That way you wouldn't have to worry about parking at all. Valet parking is what most of you complainers are used to, anyway, right?
Demented in Dallas

Postby Dutch » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:31 pm

no charge to park in the new meadows garage, a slightly longer walk, but you car is covered in a lit garage. that's where i typically park for games.

Or, if you all are really that cheap, wait until halftime and they open the garage to free public parking. I found this out at the baylor game when I had to work late.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball