PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hop

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:41 pm

No, Hoop Fan, Hopkins isn't perfect. And you're right, there is no assurance that he'll stay hot. But there also is no assurance that he won't. I urge all PonyFans to hope for the best and watch the Ponies -- in person -- with great optimism.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re:

Postby StangEsq » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:39 am

LA_Mustang wrote:StangEsq, you just don’t get it. If you were a head coach playing against SMU what would your #1 priority be? Very simple, stop Bryan Hopkins.....do that and you win. It’s not like Hop is 6’9” and can get under the basket and demand the ball, he’s a 6’0” point guard who is this team’s only true scorer. It’s ridiculous and very unfair for anyone to say- let’s see him do something against better competition. Come on, we’re not playing against high school coaches here. We’re talking about the likes of Eddie Sutton and Bob Knight. You think those coaching legends had any trouble coming up with a game plan to stop our one true scorer, who’s a 6’0” PG??

C'mon, you're making excuses... and making my point for me. You think Knight wanted to stop Santee when they played TCU? The guy hit his shots. Who did Q have to help him his senior year? Not much more than what Hop has here -- but he still managed to score 20 every night, even against good defenders and double teams. Good players should at least hold their own no matter what the competition.

I want Hop to play well just as much as anyone. I just don't consider a shooting slump over because he hit 9 3s against a bunch of guys that our 2nd team could beat. There's a lot less pressure against better defenders and (as you eluded to in your comment) you don't get open looks against good defensive schemes. Let's hope the confidence is back and this continues against a decent Rice team that has held their own against a couple of good teams.
StangEsq
Heisman

Re:

Postby StangEsq » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:47 am

LA_Mustang wrote:StangEsq, you just don’t get it. If you were a head coach playing against SMU what would your #1 priority be? Very simple, stop Bryan Hopkins.....do that and you win. It’s not like Hop is 6’9” and can get under the basket and demand the ball, he’s a 6’0” point guard who is this team’s only true scorer.

BTW, I think Sixers fans can think of a guy who doesn't let his height, lack of a supporting cast or double teams keep him from shooting... and if he isn't hitting, he gets to the line and gets his 30 (or 50) every night.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Waz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:31 am

Very true with regards to AI, however that team is also 12-14 for the same reason.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball