PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Knight to USC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Knight to USC

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:33 pm

So Cal- the land of materialistic, beautiful people, Hollywood, Showtime, flash and glamour. Where you have to look good, regardless of substance.
A recruiting hotbed of inner-city kids just waiting for an uptight, in your face drill sergeant who will stress setting picks over fast break dunks.

Ah, yes.......that job has Bob Knight written all over it.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:26 pm

I couldn’t agree more.

That act simply won’t play here.
SoCal_Pony

Re:

Postby jtstang » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:38 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:I couldn’t agree more.

That act simply won’t play here.

Probably not, but I'd pay good money to see that train wreck.
jtstang

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:20 pm

USC is all about football. They don't care about Hoops...it wouldn't work and would be a dumb move. Exposure is less and he probably can't pawn off country crap on TV...cow feed and dog food.
Pony_Fan

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:53 am

While speculation on this board that Knight going to USC would be quite a sight, it is wrong to just write off SC as a "football school." Yes, football is king, but that had a moment of change when Bibby led them to the Tourney quite far. They have also managed to get some solid players, and are in the process of building an on campus arena, the will be state of the art. SMU should be so wise to follow suit.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Re:

Postby stang_fan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:22 pm

No Cal Pony wrote:While speculation on this board that Knight going to USC would be quite a sight, it is wrong to just write off SC as a "football school." Yes, football is king, but that had a moment of change when Bibby led them to the Tourney quite far. They have also managed to get some solid players, and are in the process of building an on campus arena, the will be state of the art. SMU should be so wise to follow suit.

Go Ponies!

We're sorry. We weren't aware that before we said anything bad about another program we had to compare the sad state of our program to that program. I forgot I had to bow down to the big programs. Look, I may be a fan of SMU, but I can bad mouth anyone I want and so can other pony fans. If you think we are unjustly telling the truth about a school in the west then maybe you are posting on the wrong board.
stang_fan
Junior Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Stang Fan, I believe you didn't understand my post. I found it amusing to think Knight as HC at usc. I think it would be hilarious! My only point is that SMU ought to do more, like renovate Moody. That is the point I refer to in stating usc is committed to better hoops.

I like to bad mouth other big programs. Just read many of my past posts before you spout your crap at me. I am an alum, member of Mustang Club, and long suffering fan. To me your comeback sound like some troll posting. (Oh, by the way, Merry Christmas.)

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Re:

Postby jtstang » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:13 pm

stang_fan wrote:We're sorry. We weren't aware that before we said anything bad about another program we had to compare the sad state of our program to that program.

Personally, I think the incessant consideration of SMU as a "football" school has contributed to "the sad state of our program"-we are god awful in football and have been for the last 15 years. We could have just as easily put the money for Ford into a new basketball facility (or a significant upgrade to Moody) and gone in that direction, and likely would have a much improved men's hoops program by now.

Besides, the concept of being a "football" school or a "basketball" school is ridiculous anyway--the idea should be to be competitive in all revenue sports.
jtstang

Postby No Cal Pony » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:47 pm

I agree with you jt. Simply by being in Texas labeled SMU as a "football" school. I saw some good hoops during my stay at SMU, and thought SMU could vastly improve that program faster, especially post nuke.

I know usc feels the same as you regarding football v. bball, and that is why they are committed to building the program. (But first they wanted to return usc to a football powerhouse.)

I want SMU to do better. I am tired of my usc friends wondering what has gone so wrong for us. I too am tired of excuses.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:46 pm

No Cal Pony wrote:While speculation on this board that Knight going to USC would be quite a sight, it is wrong to just write off SC as a "football school." Yes, football is king, but that had a moment of change when Bibby led them to the Tourney quite far. They have also managed to get some solid players, and are in the process of building an on campus arena, the will be state of the art. SMU should be so wise to follow suit.

Go Ponies!

I went to USC before SMU. Students didn't care about basketball. But, at least they care about their athletic programs and it's good to hear they are building a campus arena, if only SMU was so lucky. A lot of people like to compare these schools although I find there to be no comparison except the price of tuition and hot women. USC is serious about athletics, SMU is not.
USC ~ 15,000 students
Last edited by Pony_Fan on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby jtstang » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:54 pm

jtstang wrote:We could have just as easily put the money for Ford into a new basketball facility (or a significant upgrade to Moody) and gone in that direction, and likely would have a much improved men's hoops program by now.

I guess I need to retract this statement, on second thought. Gerald Ford put up the money for a football stadium. There is no indication that I am aware of suggesting he would have ever considered making such a donation to support the basketball programs. Ironically, I suspect he made this donation because he too considers SMU a "football" school. Boy I bet he's pissed off about the past four years.
jtstang

Postby stang_fan » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:01 am

Sorry, no cal. I was just annoyed by your support of USC. I don't care who you support, but I think this board should only support one team. As a side note, we are never so short of fans that we can't afford to rid ourselves of one; Jtstang. And calling someone a troll because they offend you is the dumbest thing I've seen posted on this board.

Knight to USC is a stupid move, but I thought a notorious Big 10 guy coming to a Big 12 school was stupid. He might be dumb enough to do it. Hey, if increased attendance and a slow decline in performance is what they're after then by all means...
stang_fan
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby jtstang » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:40 am

stang_fan wrote:As a side note, we are never so short of fans that we can't afford to rid ourselves of one; Jtstang.

That was uncalled for @ssface. What's your latest beef with me, my speaking the truth? Sunshiner.
jtstang

Postby stang_fan » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:34 am

Wow...that's got to be a record. I got called a troll and a sunshiner on the same thread. {I don't have any beef with you except for you pessimism. It's just annoying and redundant. I did jump the gun on that insult though. However, I'm not really sorry. There is a fine line in being a fan and criticizing too much to possibly be a fan. If you were a fan, you would at least hope the likes of Coach Bennett or Jimmy Tubbs could turn their perspective programs around. I have no evidence that you care about either.}

everything between the {}'s is for Jtstang...sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by stang_fan on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stang_fan
Junior Varsity

Postby No Cal Pony » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:38 pm

stang fan, I grew up in LA. One of my best friends' dad was long time prez of cardinal & gold. I agree that comparing usc to SMU is apples and oranges. As I stated before, I don't think you read posts. I didn't call you a troll, only that your post sounded like one.

I almost went to sc, but my better judgement got a hold on me. I post here because, as I pointed out, but you don't seem to read, that I am alum, Mustang Club, and long time fan. I support SMU thick and thin. My son's middle name is WALKER. Get it?

I only wish SMU would get in gear. The coaches I support, now only if more of the university did too. I believe most folks here agree with me.

Happy Holidays!

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball