PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Froggie Bballer Recruit Faces Felony Charge

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Froggie Bballer Recruit Faces Felony Charge

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:52 am

A Cedar Hill basketball player who has signed to play at TCU is facing a felony charge of theft of a firearm, police say.

Clarence Masters allegedly stole a pistol from a home in mid-June, said Lt. Clint Tims of the Ellis County Sheriff's Department. Two others later used the weapon in a robbery, Tims said Tuesday.

Masters was arrested Dec. 16 and booked Dec. 18 on an Ellis County warrant, Dallas County jail records show. The warrant was issued over the summer, Tims said.

Tims said the case would be forwarded to the District Attorney's office. The offense is a felony punishable by up to two years in prison.

Masters, a senior, has not played for Cedar Hill since his arrest.

Cedar Hill coach Dave Milson said Tuesday he would not comment on the arrest.

"His status is up in the air," Milson said. "We can't wait on Clarence. Those are issues that he's got to deal with, and I'm going to be there to help him any way I can and pray for him."

Masters averaged 6.7 points and 4.4 rebounds last season for Cedar Hill. Masters committed to TCU in October and signed a letter of intent in November.

TCU coach Neil Dougherty said Tuesday he had heard about the incident but has not spoken about it to Masters, who attended the game.

"If it's what we think it was, it's a bigger misunderstanding than anything else," Dougherty said, "but until I speak to him, I have no more comment."

Tims said the gun was reported stolen from a home on Joe Wilson Road in Midlothian. On July 5, Arlington police arrested two suspects, Charleston Cole, 17, and Cadarrius Keon Dyer, then 17, on suspicion of armed robbery.

A police officer stopped Cole and Dyer in a vehicle not far from the robbery and discovered a weapon, a .357 Magnum, which police learned had been reported stolen, Arlington Police Sgt. Mark Simpson said.

The suspects told police that they had taken the weapon from a gym bag belonging to Masters, said Tims, the Ellis County officer.

Simpson said Masters told police he had bought the gun from someone, but would not elaborate.

Tims said Ellis County police contacted Masters after the Arlington robbery.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

bring him on

Postby StangEsq » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:18 am

I wonder if TCU will use the same harsh approach here as it did with class acts like Lee Nailon and Ryan Tucker... or if the fact that this guys is a mediocre recruit will mean that they will cut him loose and open up another scholarship.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby The XtC » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:01 pm

Even if he "bought" the gun, he's still in some deep trouble. Buying/selling a firearm to someone underage, and without filling out those pesky yellow forms, is a federal offense.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:14 pm

Lets hope TCU shows its true colors and this guy gets to stay on the team - the signs at Moody would be priceless.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball