PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CLOSE BUT.........

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

CLOSE BUT.........

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm

Owls give the Ponies their chances, but 20% shooting in second half, and only 2 points in OT doom Stangs. Oh well, better than last year.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:50 am

MUCH better than last year.
We'll beat a bunch of WAC teams this year. The confidence is back, I think.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:18 am

I was at that shallacking last year in the Rice High School gym. Pitiful. Glad to see that the Mustangs were able to do much better tonight!
MrMustang1965

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:06 am

I think the biggest frustration for a lot of people on this board is that this group is capable of playing tough and the TCU, Tech, and OSU games showed no resemblance of that whatsoever. I didn't expect to beat Rice at all but I am glad to see the kids hang tough and get into OT. When Rice plays at Moody, I would expect another close game or W....I hope to see consistency through the season and improvement.
Pony_Fan

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:40 pm

WE NEED TO EXPECT W's over the Rice's of the world! You know that's great that we didn't roll over and flat out quit like last year, but don't pat our players on the back for playing National power Rice close! We should have won last night, Rice tried to give it to us but we wouldn't take it! Once again we found a way to snatch defeat, from the jaws of victory! My goodness they have a respectable team, but they are not even close to a top 25 team! Our BAR, and self esteem has been lowered so much it's unbelievable! If you don't expect much, you won't get much! I expect SMU to beat Tulsa on Saturday night! Go Ponies!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 pm

I'm sorry, but we're still 0-1 in the WAC. We need to win close games. Good teams find ways to win close games. Losers find ways to lose them. Good effort, but its not good enough.
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:03 pm

Exactly. Same ol', same ol'.....
Bergermeister

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:55 pm

A loss is a loss is a loss! Alumni/fans of SMU need to stop trying to make positives out of "close" losses! No matter how close the game might have been, SMU is now 0-1 in conference making the game against Tulsa a "must win" game.
PonySnob

Postby Dooby » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:19 pm

Lifeson and Eaststang are 100% right. While I am glad we didn't lose by 40 again, merely playing Rice close should never be considered acceptable.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:17 pm

bottom lineis that we are 0-1 in WAC play. I still think it's going to take a 12-6 conference run to garner any post season consideration. Tulsa looked pretty good against OU the other night, but La Tech handled them in Tulsa. We absolutely need to win that one and probably go unbeaten at Moody in WAC play to have any shot at even the NIT. Tulsa and San Jose are teams we have to sweep and then we have to sneak another road win or two this year. Rice was a great opportunity lost.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:32 pm

Sorry CP, but to talk about any NIT action is ludicrous right now with the blowout losses so far to the good teams. The only way this team sees postseason in my opinion is to somehow win the WAC tourney. Usually NIT is 18-20 wins and has a good road traveling team. NIT has lost its luster anyway.
Pony_Fan

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:34 am

didn't know the NIT ever had a luster. Not in the last 30 years, anyway.
RGV Pony

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:49 am

For a struggling program like ours, any post season play would be a step in the right direction - even if it is the NIT.
PonySnob

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:44 pm

RGV Pony wrote:didn't know the NIT ever had a luster. Not in the last 30 years, anyway.

It used to get more attention that it does now. Now you can't even find out when teams are playing, it's a joke. Being 65th best team...woo hoo.
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:55 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:It used to get more attention that it does now. Now you can't even find out when teams are playing, it's a joke. Being 65th best team...woo hoo.

When was the last time we were even the 65th best team?
PonySnob

Return to Basketball