PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 95-83 Final

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU 95-83 Final

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:23 pm

nm
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:25 pm

really one of the more solid games on the road in awhile. 54% FG 42% from 3-point range, 79% FT and 36-28 on the boards. Tulsa's center Price with 39 kept it close. Nice win
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:31 pm

Whew...impressive playing and a clutch win. SMU was in serious foul issues with Simpson fouling out and Isham I think. Castro was a stud tonight...best game of career?? Glad the boys didn't give up and fought tough. Roberts is starting to seem more comfortable. Good halftime interview.

Price was unstoppable and Hopkins is on a tear (thank goodness) Hopefully he keeps it up and stays consistent in WAC play. This is quite a turnaround in scoring compared to the crap I saw during the 1st couple of home games. When is the last time we scored over 90 pts in regulation or OT?
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:10 pm

We needed that!

Hop is playing great. He hit big shots and got the other guys involved, Castro in particular. The turnover at the end of regulation was not his fault. As Josh pointed out, he wanted to call a timeout but we had none left??? That withstanding, I think this team is starting to reflect the coach.....which is a very good thing.

MVP of game – Josh Lewin – he was great once again flying solo. It’s really nice to have a high quality broadcaster doing our games.
LA_Mustang

Postby BarbaraAnn » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:55 pm

I hope the refs were better at the men's game than the women's. Sheesh. Today was even worse than Thursday night.
Rock AND Roll
BarbaraAnn
Scout Team

Postby Hoss » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:14 pm

OK, I admit I was nervous before this game. I've been reading on this board how Hopkins has been hot the last couple of games, but that those games have been against sub-par competition. So I was afraid the Ponies might come up here and slide off the track.

Our man Hopkins was terrific. He scored 32 points. I heard he made 10 of 21 shots -- frankly, he seemed hotter than that. More than that, he handled the ball well, made some really good passes and played solid defense.

What was even more impressive was that Tulsa thought they were going to win today. They're still trying to win one for their new coach. The Tulsa fans I've been hearing from have been telling me that SMU's wins haven't come against "anybody." They said the Ponies are a 1-man show .... I assume they meant Hopkins. Price was unstoppable, and it's not like the Ponies didn't defend -- they tried everyone but Coach Tubbs himself on him. It was just one of those nights when everything he threw up there went in. That happens. But the Mustangs held the rest of the Tulsa team in check (I think Glenn was the only other Tulsa guy in double figures), and several SMU players didn't play too well. Simpson and Isham were not themselves, or at least not what I've seen in the past. Simpson shot OK, he just looked tentative when looking for his shot (if that makes sense).

Castro had a nice night -- he really made the TU guys work down low. In a way, he reminds me a little of Richard Hamilton of the Pistons. I know: different positions, different games. But like Hamilton, Castro doesn't seem to be doing anything flashy at all, and then all of a sudden, you look up and he's got 20-plus. He has really good moves in the low post, he makes shots when they're there.

Another guy who looked good was Pearson -- he shot the ball well, and hit the boards hard. He's god a good future, in my opinion.

Overall, the Ponies looked a lot more energized than the last time I saw them. Especially on the defensive end -- I haven't seen SMU defensive pressure like that since .... I don't know when. A long time, that's for sure.

Thanks for giving me such an enjoyable New Year's Day, Ponies. Keep up the effort and the results will follow.
Hoss
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:27 pm

Hoss, thanks for the report. Whatever Coach Tubbs said to Hop a few games back has gotten through. He is now scoring and getting others involved without being so careless with the ball. If he continues to play at this level, we’ll be in the mix for a conference title. And you’re right about Pearson, he’s going to be a nice player for us.

BTW, Rice beat La Tech today and Hawaii/Nevada play on ESPN2 tonight at 11pm.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:29 pm

That is a good win. After Phillips got fired, Tulsa was looking very dangerous this week. They played OU pretty tough earlier this week. Too bad the guys couldnt have stolen that game at Rice. Still, a split on the road is what you need to stay in the WAC race. An 0-2 start would have been bad news.
Hoop Fan

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:02 pm

This was a "have to" win on the road - nice to see it come through. Tulsa looks way down this year so no need to get too excited - I am actually more ecnouraged by OT loss at Rice - that has been a tough place for us.

If we can piece a few more together it would start building something.
gostangs

Tulsa is 2-7

Postby Sam I Am » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:42 am

Before we get too carried away with our road win, let's remember that Tulsa is only 2-7 with their new coach; whereas SMU is 6-4 with our new coach. With Rice winning again today, our two point loss to them in Houston doesn't look so bad now. I still don't know what kind of team we have this year, but I believe we will have a winning record at seaosn end. That may not get us a post-season NIT invitation, but breaking even or better in the WAC will be a sign of improvement over last year.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:15 am

Nice win, Mustangs! See ya'll at the Fresno State game next Thursday, Jan. 6!
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:37 am

well SMU played about as well as they can and overcame an unbelievable performance by an emerging star who makes Tulsa much better than earlier in the year. In college BB any road win is a great win-they deserve some compliments for this one.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:20 am

I agree that any road win is a good win. These guys just keep winning the games they are supposed to (and have to in order to have any shot at post season play). The upcoming home stand is critical. Don't know if we can beat either Fresno or Nevada, but winning both would sure put this team on it's way to a 12-6 WAC finish, which I still think is what it's going to take (along with a good showing in the bracket buster game) to set up a possible NIT berth. Sure hope more than the usual 1500 turn out to support the Ponies this week.
Charleston Pony

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:21 pm

I'll be there Thursday night with my "S.M.U." license plate in hand, supporting the Mustangs!!!!
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:20 am

This is the type of win that a team can build on. Hopefully, they will be sky high the next two home games. These next two games will go a long way in determining our final standings in the WAC. Two wins and we look like a team that might compete for the championship. A split means we're probably middle of the pack. Two losses means we're bringing up the rear.
EastStang

Return to Basketball