PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

from the DMN: Castro with the 'in' crowd at SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

from the DMN: Castro with the 'in' crowd at SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:54 am

UNIVERSITY PARK – After Jimmy Tubbs became the men's basketball coach at SMU last March, he reviewed tape of every Mustangs game last season.

He made mental and written notes on every player. For Eric Castro, Tubbs wanted the 6-8, 260- pound senior center to play tougher inside and improve his skills. If Castro did that, Tubbs said he'd push the player to do more. And Castro's doing more.

He's eighth nationally in field goal percentage and is averaging career highs in minutes played (31.9), field goal percentage (.644), rebounds (7.7) and points per game (13.8). He is also second all-time at SMU in field goal percentage.

Castro, a native of Oklahoma City, is doing the dirty work inside for the Mustangs (6-4, 1-1 WAC), who play Fresno State (8-3, 2-0) at 7 tonight at Moody Coliseum.

"The main thing is Eric bought into what we're trying to do," Tubbs said. "He's such a nice young man, he gives you his best effort."

In an overtime victory over Tulsa on New Year's Day, Castro scored a career-high 28 points and set career highs at the free throw line in makes (10) and attempts (16). On Nov. 22 against Montana State, he scored on a driving layup with five seconds left to force overtime. Visiting SMU won, 69-61.

"Just solid, solid," teammate and roommate Patrick Simpson said of Castro. "He's playing with senior leadership and he's playing with confidence. We're getting the ball inside to him and making sure he's one of our first options."

It appears as if Castro doesn't have a care in the world, judging by his facial expressions. On the court, he gets knocked down, pushed around and slapped on the arms and hands in the lane. When the referee doesn't give him a foul call or he misses a scoop shot or reverse layup, Castro smiles.

"You have to smile or you will go crazy," he said. "In my freshman and sophomore years, I was frustrated because I didn't get the ball enough. I decided to change that."

In his freshman season, Castro started 11 of 22 games and averaged 5.8 points. The next season, he started 23 of 30 games and pushed his scoring average to nine. Last season, Castro started every game and averaged 9.9 points and shot 50.9 percent. Yet Castro wasn't considered a threat on offense. Guard Bryan Hopkins and Simpson were considered the main scoring threats last season.

This season, Tubbs has decided to push the ball inside to Castro or Simpson. With Simpson, he gets a finesse player who makes short-range jumpers. Castro gives the Mustangs a player who gets position in the paint and receives entry passes for shorter shot attempts.

SMU is averaging 7.1 more points and 2.1 more assists per game this season. The increased efficiency could be attributed to Castro making more baskets.

"Last year, I thought he was a talent inside, but I thought he could do more," Tubbs said. "I challenged Eric, and I think he's given a lot. But I expect more from him. Does he outjump anybody? I doubt it. I look for him to be cerebral with his game."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 3f5c3.html
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:46 pm

does he have any chance in NBA in second round
indianmustang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:24 pm

I'd love it if he went to play for the Dallas Mavericks.

You'd have a Castro playing for a Cuban!!!!!! :lol:
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:34 pm

NBA 2nd Round Pick? yeah-oh you are talking about the Nicaruaguan Basketball Association aren't you. Look he is having a great year-he hustles and plays to his potential but he is 6-8 not 6-10+ and would have a hard time even starting on a top NCAA Final 32 team. He would make a great contribution as a 6th man coming off the bench for that type of team though
Stallion

Re:

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:48 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:I'd love it if he went to play for the Dallas Mavericks.

You'd have a Castro playing for a Cuban!!!!!! :lol:

Very good, MM65!
I love Castro, but he's not going to the NBA. He could play in some international leagues, if he so chooses, depending on which one he chooses.
From what I know about Eric, I bet he'll have plenty of career opportunities, though.
But his post-SMU career isn't what's important right now -- BEAT TULSA!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:53 pm

that's Fresno tonight
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball