PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

THE BEST SMU BASKETBALL GAME YOU ATTENTED EVER

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

THE BEST SMU BASKETBALL GAME YOU ATTENTED EVER

Postby indianmustang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:57 am

THE BEST BASKETBALL GAME I ATTENTED AT SMU WAS LASTYEAR WHEN SMU BEAT TEXAS TECH,SO WHAT ABT YOU GUYS
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bubba pony » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:38 pm

it was early 1980's and I was living in Philly when SMU came up to play University of Pennsylvania. SMU had Jon Konack and stated to get ranked. not that the game was so memorable but living in Philly and having the Mustangs come up was cool. I shouted out to Konack and he saw me and my SMU shirt and pointed the shirt out to the rest of the team. suspect they didn't expect to see an SMU shirt in the crowd. Unfortunately we lost but got to see the stangs. SMU football and basektball never come up to the Northeast. however wish they would
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:43 pm

anybody remember that great 3 day period circa 1971 when both Kansas St. and Missouri played home games against SMU at a sold out Moody. I think both of those teams were Top 20-one I believe was No. 3 in the country. Both were barnburners-I think one may have gone double overtime. One was decided in a very contested play after the buzzer sounded. I think SMU lost bot games at the buzzer.
Stallion

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:04 pm

Stallion, those games were in 1972, I believe. The Missouri game was very controversial. As I recall, the buzzer went off as the clock expired at the end of the game and we held a one point lead thinking we had won. For some reason, the refs put time back on the clock and gave the ball to Missouri. But they forgot to reset the buzzer. By the time Missouri got a shot off, time had expired on the reset clock. But since no buzzer went off, the refs did not notice that time had run out and they allowed the score for Missouri to win.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:00 pm

Actually, the best SMU basketball game I ever attended was in Greensboro, NC when Carl Wright slammed home a shot against the Tar Heels and gave SMU the win and #1 ranking for about 2 days till the roof caved in that year. I never saw an arena go so quiet.
EastStang

Postby WorldStang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:11 pm

The best game seen in person was the 1993 win over Rice.. Chad Allen hitting a 3-pointer to send it into overtime where we eventually won. I think that was '93.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:13 pm

73 A$M game at Moody. Sat on the front row of the bleachers. During the last few minutes of regulation Aggie coach Shelby Metcalf got mad, and threw his chair to the middle of the court. A fight broke out on the floor, and the band started playing the National Anthem. A friend, and I got up, and took a step or two in the direction of the fight, looked at each other, said "naaaaah", and sat back down. Mustangs win in OT 64-62 :D
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:34 pm

Texas Tech 1972 (or 73) at Moody. Front Row mid-court on the pull-out bleachers (where the blue seats are now). However, I can remember sitting in the rafters on a couple of occasions and being thankful I even got a ticket. Also remember the ol' Doc Hayes days when the teams sat on either end of the court. I think he had a seatbelt on his chair!
Bergermeister

Postby The XtC » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:57 pm

January 1997, SMU women vs. TCU. Down 23 in the second half, but came back with a storm of 3-point shots. Tied the game at the buzzer in regulation. Won in Quadruple overtime, 127-125. Set or tied 5 NCAA records that night, all of which still stand. I dont remember how many school and WAC records, but it was more than a dozen. The best part was the expression on the TCU fans who had been talking trash all night. I know most SMU fans couldnt care less, but the TCU fans seemed to care a great deal, and seeing them get their hopes crushed after listening to all their heckling was the best part of the evening. It was a historical night.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

Women's NCAA tourney in 2000. Katie Remke hits a last second free throw to upset #23 (I believe) NC State. Or maybe I just enjoyed it because the NCAA payed me to be there...
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:15 pm

I was living in Las Vegas when SMU played at UNLV and Elsey hit a last second 3 pointer to beat the Runnin' Rebs. You think I'm normally loud, you should have seen me screaming when we won that one. I think that was spring of 1998. Unfortunately, since I attended in the Shumate era, I don't have many personal stories involving victory, and I have somehow blocked out the whole 92-93 season because someone in the Athletic Department at the time thought it would be brilliant to be the only school who chose to bring boosters instead of the band to the tournament.

I did once get Oliver Miller to personally respond to my request to miss a free throw, but the game was not that great, as you can imagine.

Best game ever I've been to was Duke's double overtime loss in Cameron to Carolina in 1995 -- you know the one that is played on ESPN Classic every now and again where Jeff Capel hit the 40 footer to take it to double OT. Man, I was physically spent after that one. You don't just go to a Duke-Carolina classic in Cameron, you experience it.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:16 pm

WAC bball tournament 98-99 (I believe it was the last year of the WAC16.) Tournament was in Vegas, the men's team beat UTEP on a last second shot by renaldo bratten (sp), then we went on to beat UNLV by one in a sold out arena to reach the semi's where we lost by one (I don't remember to who, I want to say it was Utah.) Additionally the girls team ran the table and knocked of Colorado State (who was at the time #3 or #4 in the country) to win the WAC tournament. That was the game where the great Karen Blair took a hit from a CSU player, injured her ankle, left the game, came back and led us to victory. Plus I got to have a two week spring break, and a free trip to Las Vegas. Those were definitely the days.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponygrad90 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:32 pm

best game I ever attended was in 1987 when we beat Jimmy V and NC state with charles weatherford, Cato and company surprised the hell out of them, they went on to beat North Carolina in the Dallas Morning news tournament( What ever happened to that?)

That year we had a good showing with Larry Johnson committed to the mustangs- ?????? during the Mcdonalds high school tournament game

Oh what coul have been

But the Ncaa win over Notre Dame on St. Pat's day against David Rivers was waaaay fun too!
ponygrad90
Varsity

Postby Original Frank » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:17 pm

Best old era game: Most any in the Doc Hayes era. Charley Beasley, Denny Holman, Lynn Phillips, Bill Voight, Bob Begert. I remember some great games in 1966 and 1967. Big crowds at Moody for most every game. Beat Louisville in the first round of the NCAAs in '66 (I think) before losing to Houston and Elvin Hayes in second round in his sophomore year.

Later, the Larry Delzell, Bobby Rollins, Gene Phillips, Rueben Triplett, and IT teams of the early '70s were great as well. Big crowds, lot's of press, lots of attention.

Best mid era game: Mid 80's team with Carl Wright, Jon Konkak, Butch Moore, Larry something (from Lufkin ?) game against TTech for the SWC title. Packed house. TTech had a little guard named Bubba something that lit it up from long range at the end and SMU lost by 1. This was a few years before the three point goal. If Bubba had a 3-pointer, he would have been All American.

Best new era game: The ESPN Pajama Party game against TCU in Sasser's first year. Packed house at Moody for an 11 PM tipoff on ESPN. Sasser, a frosh, was the best player on the court but got hurt just before halftime and SMU lost by 2 or 3. Huge crowd, great atmosphere, another tragic loss.

I also remember the game against Tulsa the next year for the WAC championship when Willie D clanged a wide open,, game clinching, showtime reverse dunk after a steal with 7 seconds left and SMU up by 3. Tulsa drained a "3" at the buzzer and won in OT. All Willie had to do was dribble out the clock and SMU was the champ. Yet another tragic defeat...

Frank
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Original Frank wrote:Best mid era game: Mid 80's team with Carl Wright, Jon Konkak, Butch Moore, Larry something (from Lufkin ?)

That would be slamming Larry Davis. I recall that during one of the games during his junior year he scored 20 points in the first half.....all on monster dunks.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball