PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fresno game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fresno game

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:52 pm

After being critical of them after the TCU game, I must say that Castro and Simpson played big recently, including tonight. We still give up too many critical rebounds, but thats a physical limitation, not effort. Fresno looked horrible in the first half, but in the second half showed alot of quickness and aggressiveness. Overall its a good win and a must win at home. Hopkins played ok, Fresno really tried to overplay him and irritate him. I wish SMU would set more hard screens to free him up. #22 on Fresno should have been picked and bumped alot more than he was. Gotta beat Nevada and then roll the dice on the road. Looks to me like the team is responding to Tubbs.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:58 pm

lets have a nice winning streak, we need 3 players in more than 20 points
indianmustang

Postby Diehard Pony » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:15 pm

Nice performance tonight. When Fresno tied up the game fairly late in the 2nd half my friend and I both agreed that that it looked bad for the Ponies. But unlike last years team they responded to the challenge. I was very impressed with the teamwork.....greatly improved from the games that opened the season. They looked like a different team than that group.

Castro looked dominant inside and played a game equal to the article in the DMN today on him. Very impressed with the ball movement, and improved aggressive defense. Finally, liked the balanced scoring. I think it is a good thing when we win and Hopkins is the 3rd highest scorer instead of the leading scorer.

Again, after seeing the first several games this year I was thinking this was going to be worse than football. After what I saw tonight I think there is promise in this team.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 pm

The good thing was it was tied at 59 and it didn't rattle the Ponies. Fresno seem to get the momentum at that time. I don't think Fresno is that great of a team but it was a good win and Fresno never lead the entire game.

I completely concur - watching this team's disasterous start, I really thought it was going to be extremely ugly. They were doing nothing right at all.

Hopkins got off his game after Fresno's White was all over him. Hopkins had no separation ability and was pushing off a lot. Luckily, Simpson and Castro took over. I'd like to see Roberts get more handling duties and Hopkins to stop the dribble and pass more.

If we can get the Nevada win, I'd be very encouraged.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:01 am

That was a nice win over a good, but very young Fresno team. They’re going to be pretty salty in a year or two. It looks like they are going after HS players instead of JUCO guys now.

HF, I agree Fresno looked bad in the 1st half but I attribute some of that to our defense. I thought our defensive pressure was outstanding to start the game. Castro is playing out of his mind. For the first time I can ever remember, I wanted us to get the ball down low to him late in the game. He's so crafty around the basket. And what about Roberts??? He’s getting there, and when he does, boy, he’s going to be fun to watch.

BTW, UTEP blew out Rice tonight.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:15 am

Roberts is showing some good things, and Tubbs is starting to count on him. He's very active on both ends of the floor. His shooting will improve a ton when his shoulder heals. He looks very uncomfortable shooting from beyond close range right now. It must be injury related because his shot was much smoother and more confident this past summer in the Global Games. We've all said it before, but the backcourt should really be strong next year with Hopkins, Willingham and Roberts.
Hoop Fan

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:25 am

Roberts is going to be a great player. The key for him is to stay aggressive. He did a great job last night of handling the ball and just making things happen, both on offense and defense.

The first half was the bet SMU has run offensive sets in a long time. That is very, very promising.
JasonB

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:08 pm

I also didn't like it when Hopkins looked like he was forcing shots, but if Coach Tubbs didn't want him to shoot, he would have been pulled after those shots. I loved the fact that Fresno came back to tie it and the guys dug their heels in and held them off. With Castro (GREAT game - again), Simpson, Isham and Hopkins, this is a maturing team. I don't think we've seen their best performance yet.

Good points about Roberts, too. He's not shooting or attacking the rim a lot, but some of those passes he's making were better than any freshman we've had in quite a while. He sees the floor extremely well. Might be an even better signing than we thought.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Agree with the rest of you. LOVE the way Chris Reay becomes the energizer bunny when he comes in.. he always brings a spark. If he can just mature just a little bit and not be so anxious when he has the ball.. his game will improve bigtime. He reminds me alot of a young Castro. BTW.. Castro's game and maturity is beyond what I thought it would ever be in an SMU uniform. His awareness and feel for the game has really gone up a level.. not the young, anxious, indecisive kid I remember.

Wouldn't mind seeing Robers and Isham getting a few more looks at the basket. Don't want them to rely too much on Hop taking all the jumpers. If teams key on him.. which they will, we'll need Roberts and Isham to step up more than they have thus far this season.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

It feels good to win two WAC games in a row

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:12 pm

It has been so long that we have won two WAC games in a row that I am quietly enjoying something that I used to take for granted - winning at home against average good teams.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball