PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

tough loss...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

tough loss...

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:50 pm

SMU's interior defense and rebounding woes rear their ugly heads again. Castro did have another good offensive game, but teams with good big guys and phyically strong forwards really exploit us. Its not disappointing really, its been that way for years. No one really played well tonight, but the effort was good which kept SMU in the game. Nevada was just the better, stronger team. And for a freshman, Ramon Sessions is quite a guard I think.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:54 pm

we got killed on the boards tonight, something like 39-22. but we kept playing hard, and made a nice comeback.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:39 am

the better team may have won this game, but I'd still like to see how games like this play out if we truly had a home court advantage. I'm talking about 8-9,000 SMU fans in Moody every night screaming their heads off for the 'Stangs. We can only wonder.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:20 am

Keep Dreamin...we'll wake you up in 2010. Moody hasn't been packed with SMU fans since .......who knows. I don't think it would have made any difference.

Nevada was the superior team with more physical guys and more depth. There were a lot of hard picks set in the interior....lots of banging. They fought for the rebounds and 2nd chances... It was difficult with Simpson in foul trouble so early and Hopkins having a bad game.

The Nevada "Taylor" clan from Grapevine showed up in big numbers.
Pony_Fan

Ramon Sessions.....

Postby battleborne » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:36 pm

Hoop Fan wrote: And for a freshman, Ramon Sessions is quite a guard I think.

The amazing thing is, Ramon was a last minute signee. When the NCAA revoked the 9-5 rule, Nevda capitalized and snagged Ramon from Clemson, UMASS and a few others. He's easily the most D1 ready freshman Nevada has had in the past 15 years.

As was said below, a true home-court advantage would have likely resulted in a Pony W. When Nevada is drawing crowds in excess of 95% of capacity (11,200), it's nearly impossible for any opposing team to win...It's worth 6 points easily!

Good luck the rest of the way.
battleborne

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:23 pm

it should be painfully clear to our inside players, on what they should do in the off season. pound the weights, and the protein shakes! :twisted:
ALEX LIFESON

Return to Basketball