PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN Story on Lady Mustangs Signee Elbie Gates

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN Story on Lady Mustangs Signee Elbie Gates

Postby Peruna88 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:54 am

North Garland's Elbie Gates enjoys playing against Garland Lakeview Centennial. She has never lost to Lakeview in four years of varsity play.

Lakeview is undefeated in District 11-5A heading into tonight's game at North Garland. But Gates said that just gives her added motivation to keep her record flawless.

"They get a little bit better every year," said Gates, an SMU signee. "But as long as I go out and do what I'm supposed to do and not hold back, I'm pretty confident we'll win every time."

Gates, the leading scorer for North Garland (13-10, 3-1), scored 50 points in two district victories last week against Sachse and Rowlett.

At 5-11, Gates is capable of playing anywhere from point guard to power forward. Her ability to drive to the lane complements her perimeter jumper.

"I can put her outside or inside. She's the most versatile player I have," North Garland coach Gail Martin said. "Her being so coachable makes it easier for me. She's played the 4 [power forward] a lot, but I needed her more outside this year."

North Garland and Lakeview (16-6, 4-0) will play at 6 p.m. today. Gates averaged 15 points in two wins against Lakeview last season. She scored 20 points in a Jan. 20 road win.
Peruna88
All-American

Return to Basketball