PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

must win game at San Jose

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

must win game at San Jose

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:11 pm

I'd say SMU is pretty close to out of the race for the regular season championship already, but winning today is a must if we want to finish in the top 4 to get a decent tournament seed. Falling to 2-4 will be hard to overcome. San Jose must be improved some to beat La Tech the other night. But somehow even without Hopkins, SMU is favored by 3.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm

Nevada and UTEP are the clear favorites. Ponies don't have enough depth to compete...I'd say we are looking at 2-4. I don't see Fresno staying that tough and Rice/Hawaii stepping ahead of them.

UTEP, La Tech, and Boise....maybe beat Boise?

Injuries are killing us - Roberts out 2-3 weeks, Rack - is he going to play this year at all?, Hopkins status unkown, and Isham is out I would imagine today.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:04 pm

Not a bad win with one starter out and two hampered by injuries. The biggest positive these last two games is the emergence of Devon Pearson. I just hope he continues to be aggressive on the offensive end. We are a MUCH better team if Pearson becomes a scoring option (13-15 pts a game), and he can do that. He’s never been a big scorer, even in high school, but he has the ability.

BTW, I think we may have a found a school with fan support worse than SMU. San Jose had 800 at Thursday’s game against La Tech and around 1,000 against us today. That’s pathetic. Also, that blow out win against Baylor is starting look a lot better as they have won at Purdue and played UT and OU very close in the last few days.
LA_Mustang

Postby indianmustang » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:19 pm

nice win congrats for the team
indianmustang

Re:

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:25 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:BTW, I think we may have a found a school with fan support worse than SMU. San Jose had 800 at Thursday’s game against La Tech and around 1,000 against us today. That’s pathetic.

San Jose has looked very closely at folding their program several times over the last couple of years. If things don't change there, I suspect they ultimately will. Clearly a model I hope we don't follow, although we have many of the same signs.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re:

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:31 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Not a bad win with one starter out and two hampered by injuries. The biggest positive these last two games is the emergence of Devon Pearson. I just hope he continues to be aggressive on the offensive end. We are a MUCH better team if Pearson becomes a scoring option (13-15 pts a game), and he can do that. He’s never been a big scorer, even in high school, but he has the ability.

I suspected watching him last year he was going to be tough. (rebounding, etc) - I was a little surprised it took him this many games to make an impact. I do hope it continues and he is consistent game in and game out.
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball