PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fresno

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fresno

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed but Fresno beat UTEP last night and moved into first place (5-1) in the WAC....with their only lose being to that little private school on the Hilltop. I was impressed with Fresno last week at Moody, and honestly thought it was our best win since beating Purdue.

There are four very solid teams in the WAC (Fresno, Nevada, UTEP and Rice) and three teams not far behind (SMU, Hawaii and La Tech). I think Fresno and UTEP will finish 1-2 and 3-7 is anyone's guess.
LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:43 am

Fresno was picked with Tulsa around 8th or 9th in the conference. Fresno just competes for the title every year no matter what. I actually think they will fall back behind Nevada as the season goes by because of Nevada's experience, but they are going to be tough for SMU and Hawaii to catch.

Whats up with La Tech? It floored me to see they beat Hawaii on the island. How did that happen after they lost to San Jose?
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:52 am

I think after seeing both teams, I think Nevada is better than Fresno. I wasn't all that impressed with Fresno and was surprised they beat UTEP.

But this is the WAC and every year almost everyone can compete on any given night.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Coming into this year Fresno’s backcourt was their biggest unknown. Unfortunately for the rest of the WAC, two of their younger guys have stepped up to the challenge – sophomore JaVance Coleman (18pts, 6 boards/game) and freshman Donovan Morris (12pts/game). Coleman and Morris both caught my eye when they came to Dallas, and I was just as impressed with Fresno’s big guy Al-Sayyad as I was with Nevada’s Fazekas. I just think they are a young and very dangerous team.

As for La Tech, they have the same problem we do. They have one really good player, Millsap, and bunch of other guys that show up sometimes and sometimes they don’t.
LA_Mustang

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:58 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:As for La Tech, they have the same problem we do. They have one really good player, Millsap, and bunch of other guys that show up sometimes and sometimes they don’t.

That makes sense, it hadn't occurred to me how similar they might be to us.
Hoop Fan

give...

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:31 pm

give fresno state's al-sayyad a few inches and you would not be able to distinguish him from Dikembe Mutumbo...they play similarly too
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:07 pm

I see the similarities, but Al-Sayyad is much more polished offensively than Mutumbo. If he gets the ball down low he scores. He was something like 7 of 8 from the field against us. He came to Fresno as a project and I believe he’s turned into a much better player than they ever imagined.
LA_Mustang

yes

Postby mavsrage311 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:30 pm

it's hard to say that a college player is better offensively than an NBA player, but I was definitely impressed with Al-Sayyad...he is definitely better than White Cadillac, or big fatty or whatever his name is
mavsrage311
Heisman

Return to Basketball