PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

It's time to take a stand

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

It's time to take a stand

Postby DickerJames » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:38 am

I have always excused the Dallas Morning News lack of coverage of SMU by saying it wasn't their job to be our marketing arm and that if we ever started winning meaningful games the coverage would come. They have finally done something that has sent me over the edge. They no longer print the WAC basketball standings, only the Big 12. They can't give our conference 2 inches every day? I enjoy looking to see who the other teams are playing, what the results were and the current standings. This has happened during a period when they don't even have hockey to cover. I love reading the paper and would miss the paper much more than they would miss me, but I am willing to give it up to take a stand and make a statement. Anybody willing to join me?
DickerJames
All-American

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:40 am

Consider getting updated information about WAC standings from the Internet.

The DMN is a marginal resource for articles about SMU athletics and SMU in general. I live in the northeast and I don't check my regional paper for collegiate sports team standings - including local/regional teams that I am interested in.

I am not defending the DMN but it probably doesn't have many readers who care if WAC standings are published. Ignoring WAC standings gives the DMN a little more space for advertising or other subjects.

You probably have this URL...
http://www.wacsports.com/

Go Mustangs.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby DickerJames » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:25 am

[quote]I am not defending the DMN but it probably doesn't have many readers who care if WAC standings are published. Ignoring WAC standings gives the DMN a little more space for advertising or other subjects.

Thats my point. Unless we unite and say we do care then we will continue to be marginalized. I got used to scanning over the Big 12 articles and searching the back pages for SMU game coverage long ago and have accepted it. But enough is enough. I like to grab my coffee and the sports page every morning and during basketball season I want to keep up with the standings of whatever conference we are affiliated with.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby MustangTu » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 am

Generally they post WAC standings only when there are games. Try looking for the info on Friday and Sunday as WAC teams play Thur and Sat.
MustangTu
Junior Varsity

Postby DickerJames » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:26 am

Generally they post WAC standings only when there are games. Try looking for the info on Friday and Sunday as WAC teams play Thur and Sat.

No they don't. They used to print it every day same as the Big 12, but now only Sunday when they print the standings of every Division I conference in the the nation are we included. The Big 12 has their standings along with yesterdays results, todays games and tomorrows games every day and we get the same treatment as EVERY conference in the nation once a week.
DickerJames
All-American

Re: It's time to take a stand

Postby jtstang » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:49 am

DickerJames wrote:I love reading the paper and would miss the paper much more than they would miss me, but I am willing to give it up to take a stand and make a statement. Anybody willing to join me?

So take a stand then--cancel your subscription and write a letter to the sports editor telling him why. And, no, I won't be joining you. There are other parts of the paper besides sports and I can read anything I want about SMU online.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DickerJames » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:12 am

So take a stand then--cancel your subscription and write a letter to the sports editor telling him why. And, no, I won't be joining you. There are other parts of the paper besides sports and I can read anything I want about SMU online.

I am writing a letter to the editor asking him to print our conference standings and schedule everyday. Canceling my subscription is what I will do if nothing changes. My lone letter won't do squat, thus the reason for my asking you and others to lose your apathy and do the same. You are the second person to inform me that I can get what I want online. I can get ANYTHING thats printed in the paper online, but somehow it's nice to sit back relax and read the paper.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby SWC2010 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:27 am

It does stink that the DMN offers such minimal coverage of ALL sports at SMU. This subtle snub (accidental or intentional) does not help in local recruiting.

I am hoping that when we move into CUSA, we will get more conference coverage based upon the relocation of CUSA offices to Dallas.

In solidarity, I am sending an email requesting more coverage of SMU. Perhaps the squeaky wheel will get oiled
SWC2010
Heisman

Re:

Postby jtstang » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:24 pm

DickerJames wrote:You are the second person to inform me that I can get what I want online. I can get ANYTHING thats printed in the paper online, but somehow it's nice to sit back relax and read the paper.

Point of clarification--I did not suggest you can get what you want online, only that I can read anything I want about SMU online. And I don't think anything will change until the losing at SMU changes, and I still won't cancel my 'scrip.
jtstang

Postby Peruna88 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:54 pm

My letter to the DMN on this very subject two weeks ago:

Peruna88 wrote:Every day, you print the Big 12 Men's and Women's basketball standings. And every day, I'm reminded that the closest Big 12 team plays down in Waco. Why do I have to wait until Sunday to see the WAC standings of local team SMU? Especially since the women are 12-2 and off to their best start ever. Since I know you won't give SMU equal time, how about at least printing the standings on game days (Thursday/Saturday) and the day after so we can see the changes in the rest of the conference? Is it too much to ask my local paper to cover the local team?

Response from Dwayne Bray, DMN Sports Editor

Dwayne Bray wrote:Thanks for your inquiry. Space doesn't permit us to run the WAC, Conf. USA, Southland and other standings daily [men and women]; however, we do appreciate your feedback and continue to discuss the best way to get this information to readers. Dwayne Bray, sports editor

His e-mail is dbray@dallasnews.com
Peruna88
All-American

Postby Peruna88 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:10 pm

UPDATE: Just received the following from Dwayne Bray.

Dwayne Bray wrote:. . . after further discussion with our management staff, we have decided to re-instate the WAC men and women's standings daily. If space is tight, we might keep them out but only on non-game days. This will begin immediately, with Thursday's editions. Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you, Dallas Morning News.
Peruna88
All-American

Postby PK » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:20 pm

Good job Peruna88!!!
PK

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:36 pm

A slam dunk by a 6' SMU forward! Good job.

Also, thank you to the DMN.

DickerJames - now you can "sit back relax and read the paper" again.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:50 pm

these are the little things that could have provided greater synergy if all the Texas schools would just get into 2 conferences. To be fair to the DMN it is a tough job for the media to cover the Big 12, WAC, MWC, CUSA and Sunbelt.
Stallion

Postby Diamond Girl » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:44 pm

It seems that only a handful of devoted people can get something positive done. If we can get a handful of devoted students to follow suit, attendance may increase, and it wouldn't take a successful season to do it. But, as I noticed on this thread, jtstang is sounding a bit like an apathetic undergrad and not like the fan I believe he is. Anyway, I applaud dickerjames, swc2010, and peruna88 for taking a stand and getting results.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball