PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Utep game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Utep game

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:41 pm

there are no moral victories when you start 3 seniors. Simpson actually played pretty well at the end at least on a bad ankle, but as a group the veterans just did not step up at all. Castro, geez I dont know what to say, he was in a fog tonight, 0 for whatever at the free throw line. Roberts and Pearson kept SMU in the game. Roberts played great in my opinion, he handled the ball, scored, and pressured their shooters. Pearson was our only force on the boards and he scored. The good news of this season right now appears to be the emergence of Roberts and Pearson. I hope this group of seniors can get it together and make a run to end their careers. At this point, might as well sit BHop out until he is close to 100%.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:42 am

There were times tonight when I felt like I was at UTEP home game. Geez. Are there REALLY that many UTEP alumni in the D-FW area who are willing to come out to a game at Moody on a rainy, cold night in January?

Mustang fans...take note. :roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby MustangTu » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:02 am

I think we outnumbered the UTEP supporters, we just sat on our hands and didn't want to damage our vocal cords. We must be saving it for when we get a real team. There cheer leaders out did our group who must also be saving there energy for Sept 3, 2005. Get rid of the D.... t-shirt throw get rid the the gymnastics and lead cheers and get the crowed behind the team. The chants SMU, SMU were generally lead by fans in the stands as were the cry of defense, defense. The fans were given tremendous support by the Mustang Band they truly are the Hub of Mustang Spirit. The Cheer Leaders could learn from the Mustang Band.
MustangTu
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:28 am

Unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to yell at SMU athletic events (or any other athletic events, for that matter) since I have damaged my vocal chords from years of 'improper' yelling. You have no idea how much this bothers me!!!!!! But if I don't stop yelling, I will no longer have a voice for regular speaking. Therefore, I have to bring my SMU license plate and do my damndest to urge the other fans to yell thru hand gestures.
MrMustang1965

Postby Spaz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:38 am

Thank you, thank you
You're too kind
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:01 am

Mr. Mustang, get one of those annoying electronic voice boxes. That would be even better than yelling. I'm sure your doctor would write you a prescription for that. Then when the cops hassle you show them your laminated doctor's note that says you have to use that. They don't want to get sued for Handicapped Discrimination, its not PC, you know to pick on the handcapped.
EastStang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:50 am

As is so often the case, it appears we are playing for next year....so last night had a few positives. Pearson and Roberts played very well. They are giving me hope. I was impressed that we didn't quit after getting down big early. The free throw shooting was unacceptable.
LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:19 am

One more thing - you think we need an outside shooter on this team???
3 pt shooting last night: 0-6
free throw shooting last night: 3-10
LA_Mustang

Re:

Postby jtstang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:23 am

LA_Mustang wrote:The free throw shooting was unacceptable.

As it has been as long as I can remember. Why can we not make free throws? This is a historical problem at SMU.

It would be an interesting intellectual excercise to go back over the last five or ten years and see how our record would change if we shot just 70% from the line. Not making free throws absolutely kills me.
jtstang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:32 am

It was O-fer night. Isham goes 0-5 from the field. Castro goes 0-5 from the line, 0-6 if you count the back half of the crucial 1-and-1 he missed. The team was 0-7 from 3 point land.

Utep basically won the game on threes. They go 8-19 from the arc and pick up 8 extra points even though SMU made 5 more total field goals. A 33% shooter from 3 is equal in value to a 50% shooter from two. Thats huge, and big reason why people don't understand that Hopkins production is better than they think.
Hoop Fan

Postby DickerJames » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:46 am

The free throws made me want to bite myself last night. Castro is one of the few that is usually money at the line and it was just suicide. If this current team had a true outside shooter to take the pressure off of Hopkins, I truly believe we would be talking post season instead of next year.
DickerJames
All-American

Re:

Postby couch 'em » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:50 am

MrMustang1965 wrote: 'improper' yelling.

What exactly is improper yelling?
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:57 am

Improper yelling: straining vocal chords to the point of damaging them.
MrMustang1965

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:06 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:Unfortunately, I am no longer allowed to yell at SMU athletic events (or any other athletic events, for that matter) since I have damaged my vocal chords from years of 'improper' yelling. You have no idea how much this bothers me!!!!!! But if I don't stop yelling, I will no longer have a voice for regular speaking. Therefore, I have to bring my SMU license plate and do my damndest to urge the other fans to yell thru hand gestures.

I heard you a couple of times from the other side of the court last night.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Re:

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:09 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:There were times tonight when I felt like I was at UTEP home game. Geez. Are there REALLY that many UTEP alumni in the D-FW area who are willing to come out to a game at Moody on a rainy, cold night in January?

Mustang fans...take note. :roll:

Yup, they do, and I'm glad CUSA invited them into the conference. Kinda reminded me of an old SWC game last night. :)
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball