PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OUCH!! Stands 40% full last night!?!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OUCH!! Stands 40% full last night!?!

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:00 am

...or, for those from Grapevine, 60% empty......bring back Sonny Allen, he was the only recent coach who knew how to fill that place up!! Are people put off by the sub standard play, the lack luster student support, guys waving license plates round, one particular women screaming for no apparent reason....what?? Long Live Jeff Swanson.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:23 am

I think the play was somewhere between standard and sub-standard (when you figure free-throw shooting into the equation); lackluster student support is better than none at all... even the Pikes stayed until halftime was over... that is an improvement; I didn't notice License Plate Man (thankfully) or the screaming woman; UTEP cheerleaders were exceptional, SMU cheerpersons need direction (and a shot of B12); those pudgy little SMU "dancers" need a Cathy Wheat clinic; BUT it is worth the price of admission for 2 hours of Mustang Band entertainment... they busted out a couple of tunes new to me... good'uns... and get over Sonny... he ain't comin' back (and neither is Doc Hays). See you Saturday night!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:28 am

Gee, is something new?

I am not sure if it was b/c of Student night or the Big Shot, but the student bleachers were full.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:40 am

Hixson, you have truly revealed the secret of the century - SMU has terrible fan support. Great job, man.
LA_Mustang

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:27 am

Put down your grande non fat cpachinluttespcsafrppa for a sec....SMU has had GREAT fan support, recently.....77-79 we had RECORD crowds with marginal teams.....heck, 99-00, we had a WAC avg of close to 6000 / game....so, over the last "century" as you say, we have had some good, solid crowds.....what's the deal, NOW??
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby DickerJames » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:36 am

I think you need to put down your rear view mirror glasses and quit talking about the crowds with Texas, ATM etc. crowds.

Were you expecting a sellout for our 8-8 team? Moody seats 9000 and we had just under 4000 on a rainy night watching a 500 team. There were around 300 UTEP fans that the band had to continualy shut down and the student bleachers were full. It was a very exciting game with constant lead changes that had a sad ending. My gripe is with the people that wont get off their butt's and make some noise. I get tired of feeling like a nerd for actually standing and cheering.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:38 am

Let me say that the Panhellenic and the IFC need to come up with some formula that rewards greeks for attending school athletic functions. Perhaps the Mustang Club could come up with an award to the student organization which has the highest percentage attendance at sporting events. Perhaps some sort of sticker system on ticket stubs or colored cards that kids hand in as they come into the event. They might even have a Weekly Spirit award to the organization that was most noticably spirited at each event. At my other alma mater the Sigma Nus brought pipes and beat them together the entire game and all wore their frat attire. You knew they were there in force and they were loud.
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:34 pm

SMU has never had strong, loyal student support... EVER. That's a fact. From the mid-40s through 2004 there were a few sparks of interest from time-to-time in the last 60 years, but a lackadaisical attitude is status quo/traditional. I just wonder where they go/what they do. A handful of KAs were there (eating the leftover chicken wings) when they recognized fraternities/sororties last night, but the Pikes had already filed out and only a couple of other individuals raised their hands when announced. Let's face it... it's not important (to them).
Bergermeister

Return to Basketball