PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

3 point shooting - Guess what JJ Redick shoots...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

3 point shooting - Guess what JJ Redick shoots...

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:49 am

After looking at the stats, its clear Utep beat us on 3s last night. Our 51% shooting meant nothing. You only have to shoot 33% from 3 to equal 50% from 2. Then it got me to thinking about the criticisms of Hopkins % shooting from earlier this week. What do the BEST shooters in the country average? I think its universally accepted that JJ Redick at Duke is the best pure shooter around in college. I'd agree, but the fact is Redick shoots 44% overall from the field, and just 43% from 3 point land! Daniel Ewing shots 36% from 3, same as what Hopkins is shooting this year and I already said the same as Deron Williams at Illinois. I think Hop shot 40% from 3 last year, which was very respectable. Something to think about. Bring on Dez Willingham and Matt Williams. Something else I noticed looking at Duke stats, the great Daniel Ewing has 59 assists and 42 turnovers this year, a ratio of only 1.4. Redick has 41 assists and 35 turnovers for a 1.2 ratio. Neither of those guys have the pressure on them individually that Hopkins has. I think its time to layoff Bryan Hopkins and cheer for guy and let him play. Hear that Fraley?
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:10 pm

I think, Aaron Miles is shooting close to 60% from 3 this year. The knock on Miles in the past has been that he isn't a good shoter. He also averages about 7 assists per game.
I agree and said so earlier about the continual criticism of Hop. Those who have read this board for a long time, know I have been disappointed in Hop but anything short of chaqllenging for an AA spot would have been disappoining after the hype he came in with. However, Bryan is playing hard and is a very good player. We would have probably won last night had he played.
If we want to criticize someone, Isham would be a much more fair target. Talk about a disappointment after what we had seen his freshman and sophomore years.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 pm

OP, the the latest stats I found show Miles hitting 18-34 for 53%. Thats a great %, but not alot of attempts. His buddy Keith Langford is 18-51 for 35%.

I don't want to criticize anybody, but there is no denying Isham has been way too quiet. He really needed to step up for us to win last night, but didn't at all. Castro has alot of trouble at times too, he had 5 bad turnovers last night and of course the sudden free throw collapse. Simpson struggles to hold his own on the boards and post defense. Thats why I say as a group, our seniors arent getting it done.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Silk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:31 pm

We lost the battle of the 3s, but what really killed us was the free throw shooting. 30%? Are you kidding? 3 of 10? As Coach Tubbs said after the game, if we shoot 30% from the line, we're not going to win.
Silk
Varsity

Return to Basketball