PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the future

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

the future

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:08 pm

I'm not giving up on this season, but I don't see the gloom and doom for next year that some of you do. Assuming Hop doesn't take a flyer on pro ball (I can't blame anybody for trying), look for SMU's scoring and pure shooting to improve immensely next year.

My lineup would be Hopkins, Dez Willingham, Roberts, Pearson and a defensive minded center whether that is a final recruit, Bamba Fall or a Chris Reay. By the way, I am under the impression that his high school stats don't show it, but Bamba is a pretty good defensive presence. Our center wont need to score much next year with the 3 "guards". I see this lineup as something like what Illinois is doing with Dee Brown, Deron Williams and Luther Head. Roberts could be our Luther Head, defending the other teams small forward and slashing all over the floor.

I'm pretty optimistic too about the type of player Tubbs is going to bring in here. Derrick Roberts is a big key, and I don't think some of you realize how good of a player Willingham should be.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:16 pm

The problem with SMU football and basketball is it is always next year, next year, next year. When are we finally going to enter a season knowing that we are going to accomplish something?
PonySnob

Postby jtstang » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:51 pm

I don't disagree with your assessment. But we have to concede that any offensive contribution from the post will be minimal (if existent) and the small forward and shooting guard positions will have to be able to take up the slack. It would also help if we learned to shoot from the free throw line by then.

People can say what they want about Falls, but he's going to be 7 feet tall all game long and tough to shoot over inside, even if he doesn't score a lick.

Don't forget the true freshman Williams as your legit outside scoring threat off the bench .
jtstang

Re:

Postby rich_alum » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:35 pm

PonySnob wrote:The problem with SMU football and basketball is it is always next year, next year, next year. When are we finally going to enter a season knowing that we are going to accomplish something?

You speak the truth. With 4 seniors starting, we should be much more competitive then we are. I love how people on this board are like yes this is about what I expected. I thought this team would be much better.

I'll be dead and buried before SMU wins a conference championship in football or basketball.
rich_alum
Junior Varsity

Postby Cheesesteak » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:55 pm

Posted by rich_alum:

I'll be dead and buried before SMU wins a conference championship in football or basketball.

Since you can't take the money with you why not donate most of it today to the SMU Athletic Department for Moody Coliseum renovations?

The prevailing logic goes (basketball programs can be improved faster than football programs): better facilities = more to sell when recruiting = better recruits = better players = more wins (assuming average or better than average coaching) = more fans = more revenues = higher coaches salaries/more marketing = stronger program = potential conference championship...before you are...

:D
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Ponymon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:58 pm

Although Coach Tubbs recruited some of these players that are seniors, he was not in position to coach them in his system until this year. For some reason, many of the posters in this forum seem to think that the seniors on this team are Final 4 material. They might have been if Coach Tubbs had control of them for their first 3 years, but as the article in the DMN on Hopkins indicated yesterday, they didn't get much coaching with Dement in charge. Now they are. I guarantee that we would have lost by more than 20 points yesterday if Dement were still head coach especially after we started 10 points down. As it was, we actually lead with 5 minutes left in the game. In an earlier thread, subsequent to the hiring of Coach Tubbs, several of the posters were expecting a conference championship based upon our returning talent this year. I cautioned that it would take time for this to happen as Tubbs was going to have to break some bad habits. It appears that the latter scenario has come to pass, but I am VERY excited in the direction that Coach Tubbs now has us headed! We are much more competitive than I have seen for a LONG time and expect that the next couple of years could be quite exciting, especially if Tubbs is able to recruit half the talent that Rivals indicates is considering SMU.
Last edited by Ponymon on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:04 pm

rich_alum wrote:You speak the truth. With 4 seniors starting, we should be much more competitive then we are. I love how people on this board are like yes this is about what I expected. I thought this team would be much better.

No offense, but we don't have 4 senior starters and just because you thought this team would be much better than this, doesn't mean everybody else did. This is virtually the same personnel that finished 8 games under .500 last year. It will probably be .500 or better this year if we get healthier. Thats improvement over last year. I HOPED for more improvement, but just because average players become seniors, it doesnt mean they magically become above average. If you thought Castro and Simpson were going to dominate the WAC this year with their strength and leaping ability, you had another thing coming. Like I told you before RA, for a rich guy you gotta get out more. Peace.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm

Until we get better recruits and/or JC players, we can all keep speculating on good things but it ain't going to happen.

I am so sick of losing it's not even funny...how do we all stay sane? I like Tubbs but something has to drastically change for us to win the CUSA in the next 5 yrs. Basketball is so much easier to turn around than fball and we have yet to figure that out.

And to keep talking about Illinois..comparisons and whatnot is pretty silly....
Pony_Fan

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:29 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:Until we get better recruits and/or JC players, we can all keep speculating on good things but it ain't going to happen.

I am so sick of losing it's not even funny...how do we all stay sane? I like Tubbs but something has to drastically change for us to win the CUSA in the next 5 yrs. Basketball is so much easier to turn around than fball and we have yet to figure that out.

And to keep talking about Illinois..comparisons and whatnot is pretty silly....

First of all, I only talk about Illinois in the context of style of play (3 guard lineup) and shooting percentages of their All American guard. And that is just to bring some context for the know-it-alls who criticize Hopkins shooting. But if your the expert Pony Fan, tell me what we should use as a barometer for Hopkins and also tell us all about how you know Dez Willingham and Bamba Fall are not 'better' recruits. And I'm glad you like Jimmy Tubbs and all, you should, we're lucky to have him. He's the right man at the right time. Surely after all these years this message board has been around you don't think that I believe SMU=Illinois. I think your arguments with Stallion are making you cranky.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:55 pm

First of all, I am cranky today.

2nd of all. It's all speculative about Dez and Bamba. Sure Williams was a top recruit but that was a while back....let's see what he can do now. Unless any of us have seen Bamba up close and personal, I can't say. I've never said I am an expert on this board. I just don't like talking about the #1 team in the country in the same breath as SMU right now...regardless of context.

Why should we have a barometer for Hopkins. He is on a very mediocre team with no shooters. You and I know he was great in HS...he is very far removed from that now. I just don't think he is NBA material nor do I like to compare shooting %. He's been very up and down his whole time here...27 pts one game, zero the next, 35 next game, 10 the next ...etc. I am glad he is here, just wish we had better players around him to see what he can do - but we have no control over that. Once again, speculative...if he went to UT, would he be as good as Gibson?...we'll never know. Dement didn't challenge him. I don't see a marked case of improvement over his career in assist or turnovers either though....

It's MILLER time...or bud light...enjoy the weekend folks. I am going to miss the Boise game..lucky I haven't had seen any Stallion typical rants lately.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:08 pm

youre preaching to the choir, the ONLY reason to come up with a barometer for Hopkins is to objectively look at his performance in the face of folks who are down on the guy.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:11 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:youre preaching to the choir, the ONLY reason to come up with a barometer for Hopkins is to objectively look at his performance in the face of folks who are down on the guy.

Don't forget the fact that we also gave the Hopkins a lot of money by giving BHops brother a scholarship as well. It sure would be nice if that scholarship was being used for a player who could make a contribution during games. Given that BHop was a 2 for 1, it is hard to say that SMU basketball has gotten its money's worth.
PonySnob

Re:

Postby StangEsq » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:39 pm

PonySnob wrote:Don't forget the fact that we also gave the Hopkins a lot of money by giving BHops brother a scholarship as well. It sure would be nice if that scholarship was being used for a player who could make a contribution during games. Given that BHop was a 2 for 1, it is hard to say that SMU basketball has gotten its money's worth.

We would give a scholarship to Darrell Arthur's mom if it would get him here.
StangEsq
Heisman

Return to Basketball