PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Season's 1st half

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Season's 1st half

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:17 am

so the Ponies finish 4-5 in the 1st half of WAC play after playing 5 of the 1st 9 on the road. Does this mean we are headed for a 5-4 2nd half and .500 season with maybe the usual 1st round win in the WAC tourney?

Would be nice to see this team get healthy and make a late season run. They'd probably have to catch fire and win the WAC Tourney to play in the post-season and I don't see that happening.

So, what at this point is everyone's benchmark for a successful season?

For me, the only way to salvage this season is to win one of the next two road games either at Nevada or at Fresno, then go on a streak and beat San Jose, Hawaii and La Tech at Moody, win the bracket buster game and then beat Boise in Boise. I can allow a loss at UTEP if we then return home and beat Tulsa and Rice to finish the regular season. That would mean an 8-2 run heading into WAC Tourney play and should create enough momentum to win 2 games instead of the usual 1st rounder. This kind of finish would leave SMU at 19-11 and we just might have a shot at the NIT.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:06 am

Nevada is a loss. Fresno ...home court = loss.
I think realistically 5-5 or 6-4. Depends on injury situation. Most probable wins are San Jose, Hawaii, and Tulsa.

I thought Nevada looked like the best team but just got knocked off by Fresno. Same old story, everyone beating everyone. San Jose beats Rice, La Tech beats UTEP.

Good to see Pearson contributing. I had a feeling he had some potential to do so watching him last year.

UTEP loss still irks me...I am glad La Tech beat them.

Sorry CP, no NIT for this team. Successful second half would be 8-2 for me yes and winning 2 rnds of the WAC tourney.

Off topic...saw some great tennis yesterday at DCC. I hate losing to UT in anything...matches were pretty close.
Pony_Fan

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:02 pm

The WAC tournament will also be a question of depth. Games will be at altitude so teams that rely on just 5 players will be hurting. Also teams that rely on outside shooting will be finding the basket seems smaller since the lower air pressure will slightly affect the compression of the ball. Thus the teams that control the inside will be the most likely to win, but that formula also will be tested if teams resort to fouling. Free throw shooting in that thin air will also be a challenge. And that of course brings us back to depth. A deep team that can afford to foul a lot against a good inside team might very well pull off a victory.
EastStang

Return to Basketball