PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

At least we are consistent

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

At least we are consistent

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:10 pm

fan-wise, that is.....team is all over the place, but our 3624 fans at last nights game, or the magical "40% full" number, is consistent for us, yet very troubling.....how long, financially speaking, viability-wise, NCAA credentials, etc.. can this go on, seriously? Long Live Brad Branson.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: At least we are consistent

Postby PK » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:38 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:fan-wise, that is.....team is all over the place, but our 3624 fans at last nights game, or the magical "40% full" number, is consistent for us, yet very troubling.....how long, financially speaking, viability-wise, NCAA credentials, etc.. can this go on, seriously? Long Live Brad Branson.
I think last nights attendance was encouraging. The attendance at the UTEP game was 3736 and at least 25% if not maybe 33% were UTEP fans. I am sure the number of Boise fans at the game last night was no where near those percentages which indicates an increase in SMU fan attendance. :) Once we start developing the regional rivalries that we should in C-USA, I think the over all attendance will grow even more plus, I think Tubbs is going to produce some really good teams very soon which will also help.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:59 am

.....funny stuff, pk....pass the sunshine, only on the SMU Mustangs fanforum would someone call 3600 "fans" in a 9000 seat venue, "encouraging".....GREAT!! Long Live Reginald Pink
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PK » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:16 am

You have to start some where...3600 is better than 2400.
PK

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:54 am

I just never understood how whining about attendance helps put butts in chairs. It drives away fans rather than making them feel like coming to a game. We're trending in the right direction with the move to C-USA and the increase in local recruits. Chill.
ponyboy

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:11 pm

D-1 basketball is not nearly the same animal as D-1 football. The NCAA actually has some control over basketball with the huge $$$$$ generated by March Madness. There are 350+ D-1 basketball teams all with real shot to play in the tournament at the end of the season. And a basketball budget is a fraction of football. Therefore, getting paranoid about how long "SMU can go on like this" is misplaced in basketball. The answer is forever. SMU is perfectly viable in basketball all day long whether we draw 3,700 to see Boise or more. Obviously the budget looks better if we can draw 5-7K more often, and that helps you pay coaches more etc, but that can be done with a little winning. Like you say, it was done in the late 90s when the Sasser led teams got off to fast starts and high expecations.
Hoop Fan

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks, HoopFan, good point(s), to ponyboy, really???, my whining about attendance "drives fans away", OK.....are you and pk roomates?? HoopFan......how much $$$ does SMU actually get from MarchMadness? Do we get anything from the BCS bonanzas?? I am not being parinoid, just realistic, simply looking at this thing as a businessman....right now, my "investment" is hurting, big time.....long live John Colborne.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 pm

Hixson, I don't work for the athletic department so I am not privy to any numbers, but I have read published reports. The NCAA doles out the NCAA tournament money to the conference based on units earned. Each round a team advances in the tournament, additional units are awarded to that team's conference. The WAC has had some significant tournament revenue over the years we have been a member thanks to former members Utah and New Mexico, and Tulsa earned alot for the conference over the years. I don't think we will share in Nevadas Sweet 16 run last year, but in basketball there is real money. Its time for SMU to start contributing to the pot by winning an NCAA game or two to earn our keep. But thats not done through home attendance, its done on the court.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:00 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:to ponyboy, really???, my whining about attendance "drives fans away"

No, you're right. Fortunately no one listens to you. It's more of a cumulative effect from all the attendance whiners. Seriously, how many times can one post that we only had 1500 people at the game last night? You'd think after a while the catharsis would be complete.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey...I resemble that remark. Every time I hear someone comment about how well an event was attended, I can't help myself. You had to be at SMU in the 70's or earlier to appreciate where we are coming from. We remember Moody averaging 5-6,000 (that includes the 1500 semester break crowds) and when school was in, drawing enough students to pack the entire courtside (both sides were bleachers in those days).

For those who want to continue to ignore the issue, it's frustrating for those of us who know that's a big part of why the SWC no longer exists...and why the BCS does! We know it will never be the same, but there is no reason we can't/shouldn't aim for packing Moody and Ford for every game. I hope the younger Mustangs get to enjoy a home court/field advantage someday.
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:41 pm

I was there in the mid 60's watching Denny Holman and crew and of course I would love to see it that way again...but tell me how whining about it is going to make it happen. Even in those days, the 8 to 9,000 weren't all SMU fans...the other teams had a fair number of their fans there too. So now when Hawaii or Fresno or San Jose or Nevada or Boise for pete sake come here with virtually NO FANS in tow do any of you "realist" out there think we are going to load the place up with SMU fans?????? The average Dallas red-neck sports bar enthusiast ain't interested in going to a college game when they can go see the NBA greats come to town instead. So that leaves the SMU students and Alums...those great purveyors of athletic support and enthusiasm...get real. If we aren't tourney bound every year...they aren't interested. So yes, I'm encouraged by any increase in attendance and damn glad to see every one of them there. If Tubbs can get this program rolling again and make some showings at the dance...then...yes then, just maybe the SMU "faithful" will return to Moody.
PK

Return to Basketball