PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Visions for Moody while watching the Duke game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Much has been made about Moody's [only] similarity to Cameron Indoor (i.e. configuration & capacity). Once SMU switches to CUSA, I really think a more Duke-esque paint job would be more appealing. Replace the "Coach K" court w/ the new SMU blocked letters as seen on the side of the Armstrong relocation moving van; get rid of the oversized Pony & instead of the "D" at midcourt either put a small pony or a silhouette of Dallas Hall. Improve the lighting. Simple, not cluttered. Two looks that won't work: what Moody has now, and the crap Texas A&M has painted on its floor this year.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:29 pm

I admit I have caught myself dreaming what it would be like if we had anything close to the atmosphere Duke has at Cameron. I don’t know how or if it’s possible, but when Moody is remodeled, I hope we make the student section much larger and keep it near the court. If that happens and we can ever get students to the games, Moody can be a very special place.
LA_Mustang

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:25 am

1. Don't replace the pony at center court. It's unique, and I like it.

2. I honestly do not think Moody will ever get anywhere close to Cameron. At Duke, when someone starts chanting something, the natural reaction is to figure out what the are saying and then join in. When someone starts chanting something at SMU, the natural reaction is to stare at the person as if they've just escaped from the zoo. No one joins in anything, not even the set cheers that the band does every game, several times a game. Where at Duke, the prevailing ethic is "stand up and be counted," at SMU, even when we've got a decent crowd and are on a run or need a defensive stand, the prevailing sentiment is "sit down and shut up." Can't even get the students off of their butts when they do come, let alone the old fogies.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:43 pm

some of us remember how close the atmosphere at Moody once was to Cameron Indoor. I still remember a Nabraska game where the students stood the entire game (except for halftime) and Clayton (the animal) Korver had the crowd whipped into a frenzy with his antics each time he pulled down a board. Sure hope Coach Tubbs can rekindle that magic, because I'm sure he remembers those days as well.
Charleston Pony

Postby tmustangp » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 pm

Diamond M.... i could not agree more with you.. we will never be like duke because we will never have the history that they have. But what we have to look forward to is the new conference with teams that are closer and their fans will travel. WE also have the ESPN tv contract to look forward to which will gain exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy doesn't get a series going w/ OU in the next yr or two.
But i think we should leave Moody as is, I love the old timey feeling to it and when we get better and have a conf game people will see just how great moody can be w/ just 5 or 6000 fans. Keep Moody the way it is b/c it can be SO LOUD.
tmustangp
All-American

Postby BUS » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:02 pm

Two things to change..

More or better lighting and a new scoreboard.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:08 pm

When someone starts chanting something at SMU, the natural reaction is to stare at the person as if they've just escaped from the zoo.

that's funny and so true.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:29 pm

I like to yell at the refs, but I admit to not being a cheerleader. My wife does the cheers with the band, its kind of refreshing even to me when she goes. And I certainly dont look at anybody funny if they yell. What would help is if you put 10 or 15 of the loudest yell leaders together in the half empty blue seats. Why don't you guys that like to get rowdy ask the Marketing department to put you together as a promotion of some kind. I think if a group got it going, even a small one, more people would join in. But it has to start at the lower courtside seats and spread up. I even think a little noise in the big donor blue seats would shame the students directly across into making some noise. Then again, they might just stare at you. What students need is a rivarly where they know kids from their high school that go there. Thats why Boise, even Utep, just doesnt cut it for SMU.

I think it all starts in the lower blue seats on the north side. That is the focal point in Moody and what sets the tone for the students and everybody else. I would find a way to get those seats full, even if its midway through the first half after its clear their owners are not coming for the 50th game in row. The other thing is that our cheeleaders are truly pitiful. They're so bad, we've stopped complaining about them because no one knows that they are there. Its beyond sad. What happened to the old simple cheer of alternating S-M-U to see which side was louder, north or south?
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby mavsrage311 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:35 am

BUS wrote:Two things to change..

More or better lighting and a new scoreboard.

if anything, just a new scoreboard....what we got now with the Nintendo graphics is a joke compared to the rest of D-1 schools
mavsrage311
Heisman

Return to Basketball