PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Heard a funny question over the weekend about Tubbs...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:49 pm

To put it in perspective, BHop is our 4th leading rebounder with 4 boards per game while Ike and Reay's combined average is 2.5 per game.

I doubt this ship will be turned around next year.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:32 pm

some of you guys can kick Dement all you want-all I know that under the pathetic leadership of this school's administration he was able to somehow get SMU in the closing weeks of the season to No. 38 in the Sagrain ratings and would have earned us an NCAA bid if Willie D. had not tried his big showboating dunk and instead protected the ball in the closing seconds of a crucial loss. It is just about the only bright spot in this entire program for the last 15 year. Just a tad of administration support-even to the extent we are seeing today would have been enough to resurrect that sport. Maybe Dement failed and maybe Tubbs will someday get us there-but you've got to be a MORON to blame it all on Dement and his alleged lack of Coaching ability. He sure did a lot more annually under the same restraints than the boys down the street in Ford.
Stallion

Re:

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:51 pm

Stallion wrote:some of you guys can kick Dement all you want-all I know that under the pathetic leadership of this school's administration he was able to somehow get SMU in the closing weeks of the season to No. 38 in the Sagrain ratings and would have earned us an NCAA bid if Willie D. had not tried his big showboating dunk and instead protected the ball in the closing seconds of a crucial loss. It is just about the only bright spot in this entire program for the last 15 year. Just a tad of administration support-even to the extent we are seeing today would have been enough to resurrect that sport. Maybe Dement failed and maybe Tubbs will someday get us there-but you've got to be a MORON to blame it all on Dement and his alleged lack of Coaching ability. He sure did a lot more annually under the same restraints than the boys down the street in Ford.

so, who is kicking Dement? The original post doesnt even mention him. It was just time for a change. My biggest concern about Dement was that he seemed to stop being effective recruiting Texas once Tubbs left for OU. His X and Os didnt bother me except that 1-3-1 zone he used to run. Then he lost the players in a big way last year, but I agree I dont know if that says more about the coach or the players. Dement did get close to success, but the trends the last few years did not look good on the court or in recruiting frankly.
Hoop Fan

Re:

Postby jtstang » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:19 am

Hoop Fan wrote:His X and Os didnt bother me except that 1-3-1 zone he used to run.

Boy they bothered me--to this day I never was able to discern a pattern in that "offense" he ran.
jtstang

Postby The XtC » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:40 pm

So Cal, you're welcome.

The rebounding question is a very valid concern, if you include Isham the senior class is pulling down almost exactly 50% of our boards, and replacing those numbers will be a large task. Devon Pearson is right behind Castro and Simpson in the rebound column, and for a small forward I think he is a pretty solid rebounder, it'll be the other 2 frontcourt positions that are questionable. I thought Donatas was playing very well prior to his injury, and if he rehabs fully he could be a key figure next year. Chris Reay showed alot of hustle and heart early on, and seemed to be a capable rebounder and defender, but right now Reay and Ike appear to be in Tubbs doghouse, and I dont know when they will get out.

For what its worth, Bamba had 11 boards in Oak Hills last game (also 8 points on 4/5 shooting, and 6 blocks.) Brian Morris, the big forward from Oregon who took a visit with us in November, is a very strong rebounder, but he wants to go to a higher profile program. He had real interest in us, but we dropped to the bottom of his list when Georgetown wrote him a letter. If he gets an offer from a school in one of the higher profile conferences, he's gone.

Alot is going to be asked of Pearson, Rack, and maybe Reay and Ritter next year. I cant predict who will step up, but I do like Rack, if he's healthy.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby DickerJames » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:25 am

jtstang wrote:

Boy they bothered me--to this day I never was able to discern a pattern in that "offense" he ran.

I think it was the Helter Skelter or Kamakazi, I can never remember which one exactly.
DickerJames
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball