PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Horrendous Officiating Tonight!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:39 pm

I can't begin to express how bad the officiating was tonight! At least one of the refs tried to make up for the brainlessness of the others. But still...

Justice: MUSTANGS WIN IN OT!
Last edited by MrMustang1965 on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:40 pm

It was awful on both sides....really poor.
Pony_Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:49 pm

I agree, the officiating was really bad, both ways.
LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:37 am

glad to hear you all say that, I thought I was the only one. Cant just blame it on the WAC either, that was a veteran Big 10 crew. Hightower and Hillary have been around forever and it might be time to give it up. But the other guy was the worst one I thought, the short one with the slicked back black hair. They were making calls from out of position all night.
Hoop Fan

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:05 am

At least they were terrible both ways. I don't think they affected the outcome.

In the game's early minutes, Simpson got the ball twice down low and blatantly "hooked" his defender in a move to get more space. Moments later, Ritter did the exact same thing and got whistled. His was FAR less blatant than Simpson's.

Numerous walks and turnovers should have been called (both ways) that weren't. Guessing who would get the ball when it went out of bounds was anyone's guess. This obviously was a result of that pesky SMU policy that doesn't allow the officials to bring seeing-eye dogs on the court.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:14 am

One call that really could have hurt us near the end of the game was that terrible goal tending call for 3 points where the TULSA player knocked the ball out of the hoop from underneath and we got the call. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby tmustangp » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Tulsa fouls= 25

SMU= 19

who cares we won lets talk about how hopkins scored 17 or the final 32 points.. lets talk how we are shooting right at %60 in overtime this year in four games... lets talk about how we shot %64 in the second half...

lets talk about how the jar is half full this year when it was basically empty this time last year...
tmustangp
All-American

Re:

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Eddie P wrote:One call that really could have hurt us near the end of the game was that terrible goal tending call for 3 points where the TULSA player knocked the ball out of the hoop from underneath and we got the call. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

My question here is, Does it really matter? The ball had already fallen through the rim before the Tulsa player knocked it back out. Since the ball had cleared the rim, the basket was good. Can you call goal tending on the same team when the ball had already cleared the rim? And if you do call goal tending on the same team, what is the penalty? I am just curious about the rules as they pertain to goal tending on the same team, not the opposition.

I agree it was a terrible call.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:48 pm

There were several times when I was scratching my head. I didn't have a great view but I thought they missed a 3 that was called a 2.

They missed many tipped balls out of bounds calls on both sides. It was a crazy night. They would be embarrassed if they had to critique themselves...or do they rewatch their games?
Last edited by Pony_Fan on Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony_Fan

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Re: the goaltending call -- I wasn't there, so I can't judge, but our radio guys thought it was a good call, and they are the biggest homers on the planet. Maybe they didn't see that it was a Tulsa guy.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball