PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Violations from Fresno, Possible Forfeits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Violations from Fresno, Possible Forfeits

Postby White Helmet » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:43 pm

Found this article in the Fresno Bee, sounds like Tark is back or something, all this on the same day they axed the womens coach for multiple things- skiming funds from assistants, taking prescription drugs from players, and some NCAA violations.

Marlow questions might lead to forfeits

By Vaughn McClure / The Fresno Bee
(Updated Thursday, March 3, 2005, 5:45 AM)

Fresno State officials continue to investigate the eligibility of Bulldogs men's basketball player Jack Marlow with hopes the team is not in danger of forfeiting wins.

"Of course that's a concern," faculty athletic representative Pete Simis said Wednesday, referring to the possible consequences if Marlow played while ineligible. "We're not the judge or the jury in this. Both the NCAA and the Western Athletic Conference would be involved.

"If it comes down to a petition being denied, then clearly we have played an ineligible player. Then someone will have to determine what the consequences are. But it doesn't always automatically lead to forfeiture."

The eligibility issue relates to Marlow's medical redshirt season at Oklahoma State in 2001-02. He played in two games as a sophomore before developing an infection from tonsillitis. Marlow left Oklahoma State to play one year at Salt Lake Community College before coming to Fresno State last season.

According to Marlow, the medical redshirt paperwork has created the problem. He likely won't play tonight in Fresno State's game at San Jose State. "It's just annoying right now because this is ridiculously out of my hands," Marlow said.

The team left for San Jose State on Wednesday evening and, per NCAA rules, Marlow is not allowed to travel with the team while ineligible.

"I still have my bags packed and ready," Marlow said, "in case a miracle happens."

Before filing a petition on Marlow's behalf, Fresno State has to receive paperwork from Oklahoma State and Salt Lake Community College.

"The assumption was that Jack obtained the medical hardship his second year at Oklahoma State," Simis said. "Maybe not all the paperwork was done, unfortunately. And now — three years later — it's hard to reconstruct everything.

"That's what we're trying to do, piece things together."

Since enrolling at Fresno State for the 2003-04 season, Marlow has played in 45games. The Bulldogs are 12-6 in games Marlow has played in this season.

Fresno State coach Ray Lopes doubted Marlow's status would change until next week.

"He's a senior going down the stretch of his last collegiate games, so it's tough," Lopes said. "But Jack has a good attitude."

Marlow was held out of Saturday's game against No.25 Nevada as a precaution, as school officials were alerted of the matter several days earlier. The Nevada game was senior night for the Bulldogs, and Marlow was one of three seniors — along with Mustafa Al-Sayyad and Dreike Bouldin — recognized before the game.

But Marlow didn't even dress for the game.

"All my teammates apologized for how things went down, it being so late in the season," Marlow said. "I even had a lady in Arby's the other day tell me, 'We sure do miss you, Jack.' So I'm getting some sympathy from people."

If Marlow fails to receive clearance this morning, he will miss the San Jose State game for the second time this season. When the Bulldogs played the Spartans on Jan.2, Marlow and teammate Donovan Morris were suspended for missing team functions.

Marlow averages 2.6points, 2.4rebounds and 8.8minutes per game. His biggest contribution as of late was a four-point, three-rebound effort in 6minutes in Fresno State's 71-69 win over Tulsa on Feb. 16.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby giacfsp » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:49 am

Hmmm .... it's hard to imagine any wrong-doing going on at Fresno
giacfsp
Heisman

Return to Basketball