PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hudson Signs With Middle Tennessee

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby jtstang » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:51 am

At the risk of sounding counterintuitive, the other thing to consider is who we did not get--we were listed as a team of interest for a lot more high profile recruits that went elsewhere than I can recall in past years. If Tubbs keeps us on the radar of those type players, we could start seeing them on the Hilltop in the near future.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hal » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:58 pm

Amen, brother!
Hal
Varsity

Postby me@smu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:31 am

jtstang has it right...just look at the 2006 class that is considering SMU. It is filled with top talent who even if they don't come, just help advertise SMU to other players.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby me@smu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:47 am

Just to add some specific names to the 2006 class considering us:

All from Rivals so bare with me if you don't like the stars.

Matt Bouldin - 4 Stars - PG/SG - #13 top PG, #58 top 150 players
Donald Sloan - 4 Stars - PG - #15 Top PG, #68 top 150 players, #4 in TX
Jermaine Beal -3 Stars -SG - #24 Top SG, #108 top 150 players, #7 in TX
Darrell Arthur - 5 Stars - PF - #2 Top PF, #4 top 150 players, #1 in TX
George Odufuwa-4 Stars-PF/SF- #19 Top PF, #73 top 150 players,#9 in TX

In addition we have six other 3 star players looking including #21, #24, #29, #45 in Texas
me@smu
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:35 am

I don't think it's accurate to claim this early that SMU has been in on more top recruits from DFW. SMU has always gotten an early look-see from top DFW talent-the difficult part is getting them to commit over a BCS type yeam. Recruiting is not like hand grenades close doesn't mean squat.
Stallion

Postby jtstang » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:14 am

Stallion wrote:Recruiting is not like hand grenades close doesn't mean squat.
I did not mean to suggest otherwise, but I still don't remember getting looks by the kind of top talent we are now in years past. Maybe its simply because I wasn't following your in-depth recruiting analysis in years past, but my perception remains that Tubbs has gotten serious looks from the type of talent that wasn't looking at SMU seriously before he came back as head coach.
jtstang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:04 pm

jtstang wrote:
Stallion wrote:Recruiting is not like hand grenades close doesn't mean squat.
I did not mean to suggest otherwise, but I still don't remember getting looks by the kind of top talent we are now in years past. Maybe its simply because I wasn't following your in-depth recruiting analysis in years past, but my perception remains that Tubbs has gotten serious looks from the type of talent that wasn't looking at SMU seriously before he came back as head coach.

Tubbs had us in on some good local talent before he went to OU. When he left, we virtually fell off the radar screen of top local players as far as I could tell. Now, he has on the list of some big time locals. Close doesnt count in the end, but you can't get em unless you can get in the door to begin with. With Tubbs, SMU is in door again. Now it becomes a matter of numbers and circumstance to close on some good players. We'll see, but the difference now in our chance to land a stud or two is obvious. Before there was no chance, now there is. Eventually, the whole water level of talent will rise under Tubbs.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Why didn't we get any? I think what we are seeing is that Tubbs can get in the door but that top players won't come to SMU unless we start winning. If Tubbs's name was magic, itop recruits would have come this year. He isn't so he must win to get some these top guys to come. There lies the paradox. Even if we win, that still is a tough challenge when one considers that SMU has no tradition, crummy faciklities, a lousy league TV contract let alone no University contract with an ESPN like say KU. KU announced today that they signed a contract with ESPN for $40 million for the next 7 years. ESPN gets the right to market all things KU and keep the excess. Does anyone think we can compete with that? How hard will ESPN be pushing KU now? These are the things Tubbs and/or any SMU coach must combat. Life ain't easy for non-BCS teams that are fully committed to winning- let alone SMU.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:03 pm

so OP, should we give up because we arent Kansas? Tubbs doesnt walk on water. Nobody ever claimed that. I for one have claimed that he gives us the best chance right now to overcome our challenges, particularly facilities, until we do something about them.

I dont pretend to know why he didnt land a real big fish in '05. But I think his class with Willingham and Morris is going to be pretty salty. I'm not on the inside and I'm not a shill for Tubbs either. But the fact is the list of guys considering us for 2006 is impressive, probably more impressive than at any one time in the last 15 years. If we strike out, I guess we can always hire a no-name coach with no local ties and kid ourselves for a few years until we do it all over again.

By the way, how is Norm Roberts doing at St. Johns? They did not have a good season, but I honestly dont know how he is recruiting relative to his Big East competition.
Hoop Fan

Postby me@smu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:31 pm

Hoop Fan - St. Johns has four recruits at the moment for the 2005 year. Two 3 star recruits and two other non-ranked high school players.

Now to the imperfect science...

Looking at all recruits with interest in SMU since 2002 according to Rivals now. (Bare in mind they could have been removed when they committed though that hasn't been the norm with Rivals)

2002 - 1 5-star (B-Hops), 4 3-stars, 1 2-stars and a bunch of NR
2003 - 1 4-star (Dez W.), 9 3-stars, 1 2-stars and a bunch of NR
2004 - 2 3-star (D Roberts) and a bunch of NR
2005* - 1 4-star, 13 3-stars, 3 2-stars, 1 1-star and a bunch of NR
2006 - 1 5-star, 3 4-stars, 7 3-stars and 3 NR

* Techinically there are 2 4-stars since Dez should count in 2005 but since it would double him up, I have removed him from 2005

As mentioned this is a very flawed demonstration, however, it appears that the average caliber of player has improved with Tubbs
me@smu
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:39 pm

OldPony wrote:Why didn't we get any? I think what we are seeing is that Tubbs can get in the door but that top players won't come to SMU unless we start winning. If Tubbs's name was magic, itop recruits would have come this year. He isn't so he must win to get some these top guys to come. There lies the paradox. Even if we win, that still is a tough challenge when one considers that SMU has no tradition, crummy faciklities, a lousy league TV contract let alone no University contract with an ESPN like say KU. KU announced today that they signed a contract with ESPN for $40 million for the next 7 years. ESPN gets the right to market all things KU and keep the excess. Does anyone think we can compete with that? How hard will ESPN be pushing KU now? These are the things Tubbs and/or any SMU coach must combat. Life ain't easy for non-BCS teams that are fully committed to winning- let alone SMU.
Ridiculous. Coach Tubbs had some very good local players (Sasser, Davis, Hopkins, etc.) coming to SMU as an assistant coach. But he never had five top-shelf guys like the 2006 guys listed above. Getting one of those five will be great. Two would be a coup. Three would be amazing. Four or five would require looking up more adjectives.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby me@smu » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:44 pm

Should have included in my above post that we have one kid already showing interest in us for the 2007 class.

BJ Holmes is a 3-star PG out of Houston.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:33 pm

the problem with your analysis is that with the top players(ex. 4 and 5 stars) receiving dozens of offers Rivals often does change the top contenders for these players as the recruiting season progresses. I agree there has been somewhat of a drop off since Tubbs left for OU though-but SMU has actually recruited some darn good-highly acclaimed DFW BB players. Sasser, Davis, Hancock, Ross, Hopkins, even Nigel Smith before his medical problem. None of these guys were scrubs and all were ranked among the top players in the state.
Stallion

Postby jtstang » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:37 am

Stallion wrote:I agree there has been somewhat of a drop off since Tubbs left for OU though-but SMU has actually recruited some darn good-highly acclaimed DFW BB players. Sasser, Davis, [deleted], Ross, Hopkins, even Nigel Smith before his medical problem. None of these guys were scrubs and all were ranked among the top players in the state.

Yeah, but wasn't Tubbs still here and participating in recruiting when we got those guys?
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:42 am

yes-I thought that's what I said "before Tubbs went to OU". I supported Tubbs getting the job remember. He still has to get the job done and I don't even think Tubbs is satisfied with his results so far.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball