PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hudson Signs With Middle Tennessee

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hudson Signs With Middle Tennessee

Postby 50's PONY » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:48 pm

La Vergne's Hudson signs with MTSU

BY STEVE HEATH
sheath@dnj.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Vergne all-state center Theryn Hudson signed a national letter-of-intent to play basketball at MTSU for the 2005-06 season.

Hudson, a 6-foot, 10-inch standout that led the Wolverines to the District 9-AAA tournament title and Region 5-AAA semifinals, chose MTSU over South Carolina and SMU.

MTSU coach Kermit Davis said he was excited to get a local player with Hudson's talent.

"We told Theryn, during the process of recruiting, wherever he had been we would have recruited him, being only 20 minutes away, he'll bring more interest from (La Vergne) fans and be able to bring more family to games."

After averaging five points and six rebounds as a junior, Hudson blossomed in his senior season. He scored 19.2 points per game, averaged 10 rebounds and 3.2 blocked shots. He scored a career-high 31 points in a Region 5-AAA quarterfinal win over Clarksville and recorded one of his four triple-doubles (points, rebounds and blocks) on the season.

"I'm glad it's all over with," said Hudson of the recruiting process. He had visited SMU last weekend.

Hudson was named to the Tennessee Sports Writers Association Class AAA All-State team and will play in the Tennessee Athletics Coaches Association East-West All-Star game in June at Franklin¹s Centennial High School. He was a first--team selection for both District 9-AAA and the Daily News Journal All-Area
squad. He was also named all-Region 5-AAA.

"Now, I can focus on playing basketball at MTSU," Hudson said.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:53 pm

Remember Kermit Davis-he almost got run out of coaching for that cheating scandal at A&M. Davis is now at MTSU. MTSU also stole another Center SMU was after in the early signing period named Uriah Herrington or something like that. I think he was a National Top 10 or 12 at Center.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:59 pm

are you suggesting improprities?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The XtC » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:34 pm

Uriah Hethington
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:24 pm

Stallion wrote:Remember Kermit Davis-he almost got run out of coaching for that cheating scandal at A&M. Davis is now at MTSU. MTSU also stole another Center SMU was after in the early signing period named Uriah Herrington or something like that. I think he was a National Top 10 or 12 at Center.

------------------------------------
Well, the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

Kermit's daddy, "Sr.", made some incredible "OFFERS" while coaching/recruiting at Miss State, even back in the 70's....
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:36 pm

Seems a little fishy
Pony_Fan

Postby BUS » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:08 pm

We/I do not want in that business.

SMU can NOT get into that business.

Tubbs' has had a good class and things are and will be better.

Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Stallion » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Tubbs class will get you just about where we are today, I really have trouble understanding how people can claim this is better than an average class. Once again SMU ain't going to turn their program around without recruiting from Texas Top 20 or their equivalent. SMU got 1 excellent recruit, 1 competitive recruit, 1 project and 1 longshot. Again unless you grade on the SMU excuse curve this is nothing but an average class. More than anything else this class demonstrates just how other programs have a huge advantage over SMU. I think just about everyone on this board thinks SMU has a very nice nucleus at the G and even the Shooting Forward positions (assuming Byron Hopkins returns but even if he doesn't). We are extremely weak at C and PF. MOST teams in the country would not have wasted this necleus and turned this program into rebuilding mode as we are in today by signing 3 freshman inside players. By the time these guys are ready to contribute that necleus will be long gone.
Stallion

Postby Pony4Life » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:32 pm

Come on, don't start this again. I don't know what you base your opinions on -- newspaper articles, rivals reports -- and frankly I don't care. I am, however, betting that you're not basing your negative rhetoric based on actually having seen them play. This "our recruits are weak" mantra of yours is tiresome, at best. The fact is they might be as bad as you say. They also might be worse, and they might be better. But you're not a coach, and I'd lay pretty good odds you've never seen Dez Willingham, Bamba Fall, Matt Williams or Brian Morris play. There's a reason Coach Tubbs and his staff recruited these guys, and and they know a hell of a lot more than you and I do. Kind of like next weekend when NFL fans are excited about their teams' futures because of the players their teams pick in the draft, the signing of recruits is a time when fans can wax optimistic about the future of their team. Why does that bug you so much?
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:09 am

Pony4Life wrote: This "our recruits are weak" mantra of yours is tiresome, at best.

P4L,

It is not Stallion’s mantra that is tiresome, but rather our performance.

I have been following SMU closely for over 30 years. I do not think this class * 4 gets us to the big dance. NIT maybe.

Look at our just concluded season. We did not win 1 single game of any significance.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:40 am

Yes, the truth hurts.

We need a practice facility started NOW! These other new nice pretty buildings look great around campus. If our ultimate goal is dancing, recruiting has got to get better somehow. Just a few gems.

Maybe TCU will take Copeland off our hands...haha ;)
Pony_Fan

Postby EastStang » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:45 am

This is a good class and hopefully a first step. But this will be a young team next year that probably will not get us to the NIT or the dance. But we need to build on this class with a better class next year. Whether that means improved training facilities or something else, we need to really think about that. I know that Ken Pye's Duke model envisioned basketball as the crown jewel that could revitalize the athletic department. Needless to say, we have not been a basketball juggernaut since the bad old days of Dave Bliss.
EastStang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:20 pm

I think we all would have liked to have had a Kevin Rogers or Gary Flowers in this class. That would have pulled the profile and ranking up. But this is a good class. Stallion, since when does Fresno State recruit basketball players that can't play? We know first hand that they get big guys with strength and talent. Thats one reason that I feel good about Brian Morris, besides his dimensions, stats and that bad look on his face. I assume Dez Willingham is the excellent recruit you referred to and I would agree.

I think this class will prove out as good or better than any of Dements or Shumates classes. Dement had a good one with Sasser, Davis and Elsey, and they got close to the NCAAs, but look at the obvious difference. Those were 3 guys without a real position. No real rebounders or inside defenders in Dements tenure, although Bobby Dimson was pretty tough as a holdover. This class is well put together, no team can be put together in one class, but this group has several of the pieces that you have to have: true point guard, pure shooter, rebounder/space eater, and a true center who can defend the goal and alter shots.
Hoop Fan

Postby Ikus » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:49 pm

I'd like to see a JUCO guy with the last scholarship, either another scoring big guy (because they're just walking the streets, looking for a chance to play, right?), or someone who can step outside and drill it from the perimeter, to help Pearson (and Hopkins? Willingham? Williams?) with our outside shooting.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:25 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:Yes, the truth hurts.

We need a practice facility started NOW! These other new nice pretty buildings look great around campus. If our ultimate goal is dancing, recruiting has got to get better somehow. Just a few gems.

Maybe TCU will take Copeland off our hands...haha ;)

---
You got it, PF.

Everyone on this site wants to compare/critique our versus the same recruits as UT and A&M, but what we offer a recruit is glaringly below the level of even Baylor & FrogU.

Sports "Facilities" help sell the program & we are lacking on the SMU campus.
SWC2010
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball