PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Naming Rights

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby me@smu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:56 am

Corporate or personal it doesn't matter...the point is naming the stadiums are done for money.

Take our stadium...it should be named Mustang Valley or SMU stadium or some other SMU related name...but the person who puts up the money names the arena or can sell the rights to name the arena. Should be the same thing for a new arena.

As an aside:

History of wrigley:
1914 constructed by Charlie Weeghman and named Weeghman Park.
1916 Cubs move into Weeghman park
1919-1920 Wrigley takes over control of the cubs and names Weeghman Park, Cubs Park
1926 Cubs Park is renamed Wrigley Field after William Wrigley.
me@smu
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:52 am

me@smu wrote:Corporate or personal it doesn't matter...the point is naming the stadiums are done for money.
Yes, it is done for money, but when a person does it it is not for advertising purposes...and usually the persons name is not as corny as some corporations. Selling out the facility to some company for advertising is just plain crass.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:34 pm

PK wrote:
me@smu wrote:Corporate or personal it doesn't matter...the point is naming the stadiums are done for money.
Yes, it is done for money, but when a person does it it is not for advertising purposes...and usually the persons name is not as corny as some corporations. Selling out the facility to some company for advertising is just plain crass.

Well, I certainly haven't heard of any recent funding for Moody. Recruiting would pick up more if we had nicer bball facilities and practice facilities. If you had plans to do it now, it probably wouldn't be done until 2008-2010. We are losing time and recruits....but noone seems to care. Typical....
Pony_Fan

Postby DickerJames » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:55 pm

In a perfect world I would prefer for Moody to always remain Moody, but if a name change is what it takes to remodel the place, then bring it on. Fresno's new arena is called the Save Mart Center. It really doesn't get much worse than that IMO, but I hear it is very nice and it sure beats the status quo.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby OldPony » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:39 pm

How about Mustang-Cox? I agree though seriously, Copeland might even get some credit from me for something positive if he could make that happen. I think someone will have to walk in and say "Can I give you $25 mill to build a new arena?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:30 pm

its getting to the point of being ridiculous that we do not have a renovation of Moody underway. And yes, you absolutely have to take on a title sponsor if thats what it takes.
Hoop Fan

Postby Stallion » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:57 pm

yeah but not quite. The definition of ridiclous is that Rice hasn't done anything about Autry.
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:36 pm

Stallion wrote:yeah but not quite. The definition of ridiclous is that Rice hasn't done anything about Autry.

Yes, Autry is a joke.

http://www.riceowls.com/info/facilities/#autrycourt
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:48 am

Rice probably doesn't have the money.
I believe a good AD would have raised the entire sum needed to completely renovate Moody and build practice courts by now and that we would be under construction with one of the nicest small arenas in the USA.. Copeland is a poor excuse in every way as an AD. Under his guidance, look out Men's Soccer- you may be next to go.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby PK » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:38 pm

OldPony wrote:Rice probably doesn't have the money.
I believe a good AD would have raised the entire sum needed to completely renovate Moody and build practice courts by now and that we would be under construction with one of the nicest small arenas in the USA.. Copeland is a poor excuse in every way as an AD. Under his guidance, look out Men's Soccer- you may be next to go.
You may be absolutely correct...or maybe not. Neither you nor I for that matter knows whether Copeland has made a concerted effort to raise those funds or not. Perhaps none of the deep pockets are interested in basketball...who knows, I certainly have no knowledge of it one way or the other. They certainly have had ample time to volunteer to do something, if they were interested, without someone having to beg them to do so.

Just for the sake of maintaining a level of dignity here, you and the others that use the silly little derogatory name for Copeland should really refrain from using the term "Copeland"...it is so grade schoolish. Bash him to your heart's content, but at least try to sound like an adult...it's embarrassing.
PK

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:21 pm

PK wrote:Neither you nor I for that matter knows whether Copeland has made a concerted effort to raise those funds or not.
One of you should pick of the phone and ask him. Or e-mail, whatever.
jtstang

Postby PK » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:37 pm

jtstang wrote:
PK wrote:Neither you nor I for that matter knows whether Copeland has made a concerted effort to raise those funds or not.
One of you should pick of the phone and ask him. Or e-mail, whatever.
What...and ruin a good discussion of conjectures and uninformed opinions?
PK

Postby jtstang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Well, okay, I cannot argue that point....
jtstang

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:21 pm

I did email Turner a while back and I got a reply saying "we are working on it and there are plans..." that was about 6 mos. ago.
Pony_Fan

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:58 pm

DickerJames wrote:In a perfect world I would prefer for Moody to always remain Moody, but if a name change is what it takes to remodel the place, then bring it on. Fresno's new arena is called the Save Mart Center. It really doesn't get much worse than that IMO, but I hear it is very nice and it sure beats the status quo.

It does get worse...

Ohio State plays in the Value City Arena.

SMU is a school with tremendous connections to the business world, and it wouldn't surprise me if they could get a deal with someone like Southwest Airlines or Bank of America.
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball