PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement Article, for those that care

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement Article, for those that care

Postby Dooby » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:41 pm

Carolinian - Sports
Issue: 6/21/05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dement preparing for a second tour of duty
By Brad Howell

UNCG men's head basketball coach Mike Dement has been hard at work trying to prepare his young team for the upcoming season. Since arriving in early April, Dement has been busy with numerous tasks, most notably, recruiting and scheduling.

"We still have some dates and things to finalize, but we're playing a very aggressive schedule for such a young team", Dement commented during a phone interview in early June. "We're playing Duke in the Coliseum, at NC State, at South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and at the BCA Classic at the University of Washington, so it is a very aggressive schedule."

Dement replaced Fran McCaffery who left to coach at Siena College after the end of the 2005 season. Dement may be new for this season, but he is no stranger to the program having coached the Spartans from 1991-95. He left in March of '95 to coach Southern Methodist University. With the Mustangs, Dement compiled a 138-120 record over nine seasons.

Despite the lack of senior leadership, Dement remains positive about UNCG's chances this year due to a plethora of experienced young players headlined by Kyle Hines and Ricky Hickman. "Our schedule may be a bit too aggressive given that the team is made of predominantly freshman and sophomores," said Dement.

"Ricky Hickman is the lone returning junior with playing experience, and first and foremost, things start with him and Kyle Hines. Those two guys have seen success and have college experience under their belt. Also, even though they're sophomores, Brian Beckford and Dwayne Johnson both have minutes under their belts, as well as Dustin Everette. Oleksiak is a guy that will be very important. He played some as a freshman and he will be a key guy that I will expect to step up and play a significant role."

Despite being burdened with the disadvantage of recruiting late, Dement feels good about the players that have committed. "David McClenny, a freshman from Ravenscroft, has a chance to play, and play a lot. Derrick Bernard has a chance to be a pretty good player, and Marc Campbell I think has a chance to run our team as a point-guard. But of course the drawback is going to be that they are so young playing against league-play that is much older. So there will be a real learning curve, but overall I feel good about this group."

Dement has surrounded himself with a pair of talented assistants in Brooks Lee and Rod Jenson. Jenson brings a wealth of experience to the table, having assisted at Virginia, Penn State, and the University of Redlands, while also serving time as head coach at Boise State in Idaho. Dement was very familiar with Jenson, having faced his Boise state teams during his tenure at SMU.

Lee is the son of retired Campbell University head coach Billy Lee. Brooks played two seasons at High Point before transferring to play for his father in 2002. Last year he assisted at East Carolina, serving as Director of Basketball Operations. Before that he was an assistant coach at Wofford in 2002-03.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:10 am

I always liked Coach Dement, and I hope he enjoys great success at UNCG.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:47 pm

Sadly, I imagine he'll be dancing in Greensboro before Tubbs will be in Dallas. And that's inexcusable.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:25 pm

jtstang wrote:Sadly, I imagine he'll be dancing in Greensboro before Tubbs will be in Dallas. And that's inexcusable.

nothing would surprise me, but why do you say that JT? Lingering doubts about SMU's ability to compete or Tubbs ability as a coach?
Hoop Fan

Postby Waz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:21 pm

Never danced at UNCG before, why do you think that he will now? Because the program got stronger after he left?
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby jtstang » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:nothing would surprise me, but why do you say that JT? Lingering doubts about SMU's ability to compete or Tubbs ability as a coach?

The former, or maybe more clearly that would just be SMU's luck. I like Tubbs as a coach. I'm just rather despondent about the floundering state of SMU sports right now. Of course, if Tubbs landed a nice recruit, say Arthur or Ice Lewis's kid, it might snap me out of it--it for sure would make my day.
jtstang

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:31 pm

Waz wrote:Never danced at UNCG before, why do you think that he will now? Because the program got stronger after he left?

you sure about that Waz? I thought he had one NCAA appearance at Cornell and UNCG both, which was one of the reasons we hired him.
Hoop Fan

Postby OldPony » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:26 pm

Looks like their AD wants to improve competition. Just like Copeland, huh?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby olden40 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:39 pm

Hoop Fan wrote:
Waz wrote:Never danced at UNCG before, why do you think that he will now? Because the program got stronger after he left?

you sure about that Waz? I thought he had one NCAA appearance at Cornell and UNCG both, which was one of the reasons we hired him.

Dement in fact never danced at either Cornell or UNCG. His UNCG team was 25-4 the year before he came to SMU. They lost by 1 point in a horrific (read paid off refs) Big South finals game to Charleston Southern (whom they had beaten by 26 and 30 points during the season).

They also didn't get an NIT big either. Now the year after he left; his top assistant, and arguably the worst head coach in UNCG history stood on the sideline and watched Dement's team weave their way to another 23 win season and a 4 point loss to #2 seed cincinatti in the NCAA tournament.

After that class left, Peele drove UNCG into the ground.

I think Dement will dance again soon at UNCG. We've been three times in the 10 years we've been DI, and I think we will go again. Here's hoping anyhow, and good luck SMU on improving this season.
olden40

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

Dement did go to the NCAA's with Cornell once. He won the Ivy League in 1988 and they got the aotumatic bid. They were the 16th seed and lost to Arizona in the first round.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball