PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fan Jam???

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Fan Jam???

Postby Ponymon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:02 pm

I thought I saw where the ponies were going to have a Fan Jam on October 26th, but the SMU Mustangs site no longer has any information about it that I could find. I was planning to take my kid plus some of his friends if there is one. Anyone have any information about this?
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:37 pm

From the Mustang Insider

Make plans to attend the SMU Basketball Fan Jam on October 29th from 4:00-6:00pm.

The fun starts at 4:00pm with a free kids' clinic hosted by both the SMU men and women's basketball teams.

After the clinic get an autograph from your favorite SMU Basketball player! Stay and watch the men's team in action in a inter-squad scrimmage!
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

Thanks, mustangbill67!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 pm

I am questioning whether or not the Fan Jam that was supposed to have been on October 29th will still happen. There still is no information on the smumustangs.com site and the link I found for signing up no longer works. WHAT GIVES!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:54 pm

I heard it's off. Not sure if it's true, but that's what a friend told me.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby giacfsp » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:22 pm

I heard the same thing.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Anyone know why? Do they still play the blue-red scrimmage during Homecoming morning?

On a side note, where is XTC? Where is the guy who said everyone looks great in pick up games?
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The XtC » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:18 pm

[quote="Pony_Fan"]Anyone know why? Do they still play the blue-red scrimmage during Homecoming morning?

On a side note, where is XTC? Where is the guy who said everyone looks great in pick up games?[/quote]

I dont recall saying that everyone looked great. I disagreed with the person who said that Dez Willingham is a bust, and I stand by that. I wouldnt have said everyone looks great, because that wouldnt be the truth.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:49 pm

That post read wrong, I didnt mean you - just wondering where you have been with any insight or info....

I meant the other poster who said that....where did he go.
Pony_Fan

Postby The XtC » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Ok, here are my observations, player-by-player. This is just based on what I’ve seen.

Dez Willingham: Good ball handler, distributes the ball well. He likes to drive and dish, and he isn’t afraid to drive in amongst much bigger players. He should start at point guard.

Derrick Roberts: Ready to step up and play a much larger role. He’ll be called on to score more this year, and should be the teams most improved player statistically. I think he’ll shoot a higher percentage this year, and score more in transition.

Devon Pearson: Can play either forward spot. Strong rebounder for his size and a consistent contributor on the offensive end. Our best offensive threat in the frontcourt.

Those three are the ones I am sure will start. Otherwise:

Donatus Rackauskus: Injured. Should be healed by the start of the season, but he’s beginning to look injury prone.

Ike Ofeogbu: Worked hard in the weight room during the offseason, he’s bigger, stronger, and in good cardio condition. His offense is still raw, but the extra strength should help him on defense, and on the boards. He could start, depending on Rack’s health status, and the return of Bryan Hopkins.

Paulius Ritter: Has a new hairdo. Pretty much the same, otherwise.

Bamba Fall: Apparently still growing, may be 7’2” now. That’s not necessarily a good thing. He wont fill out widthwise until he stops growing lengthwise. If his bones continue to lengthen, it means he hasn’t had the testosterone surge that most teenage boys have at 17 or 18, that really triggers muscular development. Bamba apparently isn’t there yet. He did gain 8—9 pounds this summer, though.
Bamba is very mobile and he has a nice shot when facing the basket. He needs to work on every aspect of his back-to-the-basket low post game. He needs to improve his hands, particularly catching the entry pass. He needs to get physically stronger, and improve his turnaround moves close to the basket, and finish off plays. He’s the already the teams best defender in the paint, too tall to shoot over, and too mobile to go around.
I could say a lot more the work-in-progress that is Bamba Fall, but this is enough for now. He’s currently limited by an injury, we’ll find out more about whether its serious or not, later this week.

Matt Williams: Matt can shoot from anywhere if he’s open, but he’s been having trouble getting open against taller defenders. He’s going to take some time adjusting to play at this level. Right now he cant create his own shot, he needs to be set up.

Brian Morris: Out of shape and slow. If Rackauskas is healthy, he may not see much playing time, if any at all.

Jon Killen: He can give decent backup minutes to the guards, much like he did last year. There is nothing flashy or particularly eye-catching about Jon, but he also doesn’t make too many mistakes. He’s a nice, dependable backup.

Brian Epps: I really haven’t seen much of him, he’s been rehabilitating since his surgery. He looks like a good athlete, strong for his size, and his reputation is that he’s a good shooter. I haven’t seen enough to really know. If he can provide decent perimeter shooting, that’s something this team needs in a bad way.

Bryan Hopkins: Rehab on his foot seems to be going according to schedule. If his grades are in order he should be able to play in early December. I'm not going to count chickens before they are hatched, but things seem to be moving along. Dez should stay at point, with Bryan sliding over to the 2-guard spot, if/when he comes back.

Al of this is just based on my observations. Take it any way you like.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 pm

What about Ryan Hopkins?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Epps had surgery? Bamba might be injured? Rack is out, Hopkins is out for multiple reasons. Man, no wonder there is a rumor about no fan jam, we dont have enough bodies to have a red-blue game.

Its disappointing that Morris came in out of shape. We have frontcourt playing time just begging to be taken. I assume one reason he came here was for early PT. Kids will be kids I guess.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball