PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Slim Shady

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Slim Shady

Postby 50's PONY » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:09 pm

Although this is BEFORE his visit last weekend it is still pretty interesting .....

The Phog Blog
Recruiting Trail: Latest on “Slim Shady” (Darrell Arthur)
posted by Harger on 10/21/2005 -
Many thought that Darrell Arthur would end his recruitment last Monday, after his trip to Lawrence for the Late Night festivities. Arthur, a quiet kid who tries to avoid the media, has said all along that he would take his time making a decision, although he did hint following an “enjoyable” experience at KU that he “might” not finish out his scheduled officials. It should not be surprising, however, that there was no big announcement on Monday, like there was following Sherron Collins’ commitment.

It also isn’t surprising that Arthur will take his official visit to SMU this weekend. The advantage that SMU will be selling: it’s close to home. At SMU, Slim Shady will be THE MAN!

Of course, if Arthur wants to win, he’ll need a team around him. If he wants to win lots and compete for conference titles and a national championship, he’ll need outstanding teammates. In other words, he needs KU. It’s hard to imagine that KU is so far away from home that SMU would be Arthur’s pick.

Reportedly, Arthur narrowed his list to two favorites: KU and Indiana. I doubt that. I suspect Texas, Baylor and SMU are still in the running. North Carolina, the other finalist, is no longer an option for Arthur after UNC signed other recruits.

I respect Arthur’s decision to take his time . . . take his official visits . . . make this decision when he’s ready. The anticipation, however, is the worst part (for Arthur, college coaches, and fans). Arthur will feel the weight of the world lift off of his shoulders when his announcement is made. I can’t imagine that he wants that pressure on him during basketball season this winter.

Arthur is one of the last top 2006 uncommitted recruits. Despite early statements by Arthur that he might wait until Spring to announce, I think (and hope) we will know something by November 1 - for everyone’s sake.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 pm

lets land this stud and throw him in moody coliseum and let him rip it up as a freshman
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUnick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:45 am

if im not mistaken, he is a cousin of former smu now clipper Quentin Ross???
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby PonyFan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:10 am

You're right -- hopefully Cousin Q will have a little influence.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:39 am

I just hope Shady doesn't lead Tubbs on. Tubbs has to work on him hard as long as he thinks that we are still in the race. I'd be more optimistic if we had a verbal from a top guard or were still in the race for one of the local top guards. Its hard to imagine Shady coming to SMU without some good company. That leads me to believe we are really out of the race, but my guess is that Shady and his people probably like and respect Tubbs too much to take us offically out of the running until he commits.

It will interesting, once he came back from Lawrence without verballing (I thought he was a lock for KU), it must mean that somebody else is seriously under consideration.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:57 am

Hoop Fan wrote:I just hope Shady doesn't lead Tubbs on. Tubbs has to work on him hard as long as he thinks that we are still in the race. I'd be more optimistic if we had a verbal from a top guard or were still in the race for one of the local top guards.

Willingham would still have two years left, and everybody says he's a pretty good drive and dish guy. I think if we landed Arthur, top guards would be looking to come and play with him.
jtstang

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:34 am

good point. I don't discount Willingham at all because I think he was a real good local pickup. Hopefully, the other JT is emphasizing Dez as the playmaking guard of the future, who already has some experience in the Big 12. That makes perfect sense, I just dont know how much stock a recruit like Shady will put in that. I also dont think Q has much influence here, other than to put in a good word for Tubbs personally.
Hoop Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:41 pm

one stud low post player could make all the difference for SMU basketball in 2006-2007. With Willingham, Roberts and Pearson all coming back, Arthur would have some pretty decent talent on the floor with him...but he'd still have an opportunity to be the "big dog"
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball