PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bamba Fall out

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bamba Fall out

Postby anurep » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:29 am

Out for at least six weeks with a stress fracture in his back. I hope he can even play again. I tell you God is not a methodist. Rack is also hurt and must play hurt the rest of the year.

Isn't Bamba's injury the same type that ruined Shanderrick Charles career?
anurep
Scout Team

Postby PonySnob » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 am

When was the last time we had a "high-profile" recruit not be injured before the season started....Willie Davis, BHop, Derrick Roberts,.....
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 am

This is definitely not a good thing -- that's 14 feet of centers that's hurting. (OK, Rack might be more of a 4 than a 5, but you get the point). I don't know the specifics of Fall's back injury or ShanD's back injury, but my first reaction would be that even if they were identical injuries, they shouldn't affect the players the same way, since Fall doesn't take the same kind of pounding ShanD did.

So who's the starting center now, Ike O? I saw him a couple of weeks ago -- he looks a lot stronger and looks like he's in very good shape, but frankly, I don't know what kind of offensive game he has, because in his limited time on the floor last year, he didn't attack the rim much -- I don't know if he can shoot or not. Come to think of it, I don't care if he can or not. With Dez, (Hop added in December), Roberts and Pearson, we have a few guys who can score -- if Ike O is the man in the middle, he needs to become Dennis Rodman without the goofy hair and tattoos: go get every single rebound and defend like your life depends on it.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Dement-ed » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:45 am

PonySnob wrote:When was the last time we had a "high-profile" recruit not be injured before the season started....Willie Davis, BHop, Derrick Roberts,.....
Roberts isn't hurt -- he's 100 percent.
Sasser wasn't hurt before his freshman season.
Willie Davis wasn't hurt before his freshman season (although he did get hurt during that season, as I recall).
Damon Hanc0ck wasn't hurt.
Justin Isham wasn't hurt.
Stephen Woods, Jay Poerner, Kato Armstrong, Eric Longino, Carlton McKinney, Todd Alexander ....
When's the last time you read something about SMU and you didn't seek out the most negative way to look at it? Ever?
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby BUS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:22 am

I was looking forward to seeing him block a few shots this year.

Let's all hope that he heals up well and quickly.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:58 am

that hurts, I for one thought he would contribute early and often. Wonder how he sustained the injury, its an odd basketball injury. Lifting weights?
Hoop Fan

Postby abezontar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:27 pm

we're boned, there goes the slim chance for any success we had this year...looks like Donut isn't going to pan out, and we will probably never get a chance to see if Fall would have been able to do anything.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby alibaba » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:49 pm

I think that the weight program needs an overhall. Every year too many players get hurt in conditioning. Basketball and football each need their own specific trainer who concentrates on that sport. I think if you apply the football philosphy to tal skinny kids you tear up their backs and their knees. The playres are no good to us if we tear up their bodies before they step on the court.
alibaba

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:06 pm

alibaba wrote:I think that the weight program needs an overhall. Every year too many players get hurt in conditioning. Basketball and football each need their own specific trainer who concentrates on that sport. I think if you apply the football philosphy to tal skinny kids you tear up their backs and their knees. The playres are no good to us if we tear up their bodies before they step on the court.

I was just speculating about it being a weightlifting injury, I dont know that to be the case at all. Do you?
Hoop Fan

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:41 pm

alibaba wrote: .... Every year too many players get hurt in conditioning.
To be fair, I'm not sure how Fall suffered his injury. But if it was in the weight room -- and I don't know that to be the case -- I would think his frame would make him an extraordinary case. His height/length, compared to his overall mass, would make him an injury risk, I would think. It's hard to build up muscle on a kid that long/tall.

alibaba wrote: .... Basketball and football each need their own specific trainer who concentrates on that sport.
They have them. Every sport has a trainer who designs conditioning programs specific to that sport. I assure you, Darrin Johnson and Laura Cross are not doing the same workouts.
PonyPride

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:30 pm

who knows in the longhaul he is the poster boy for redshirting. He does have quickness and agility. It wouldn't kill me to see him redshirt to put on bulk rather than struggling along
Stallion

Postby abezontar » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:35 pm

but do we have the bodies to survive this year if we don't throw him in the mix and hope his height changes some of our L's to W's. Doesn't matter now though.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:40 pm

Nope that's why I kept pointing out that with 2 National Top 40 (in High School) guards and a nice backcourt most every other team in America would have gone after 1-2 Juco inside players. But Fall would have been pushed around inside anyway.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:48 pm

You know there is one sort of training which builds mass without damaging bone and frame, swimming. Given our great swimming tradition, I don't know why coaches don't prescribe that sort of training for tall skinny guys. I'm sure that Coach Sinnott would love to dream up a training regimen for basketball players. When I got to SMU and flunked the swimming test, I had to take swimming. My shoulder width increased two inches and my waist size reduced 1 inch. By the way, swimming exercises are great for rehabilitating back injuries. Apparently shortly before his unfortunate incident at Chappaquiddick, Ted Kennedy suffered a back injury and started swimming several miles per day. That swimming ability allegedly saved his life.
EastStang

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:49 pm

That doesn't sound like a very recoverable injury....

So much for any inside presence...Who plays the center position? Ike or Ritter - ouch....if only Castro was here for 1 more year.
Pony_Fan

Next

Return to Basketball