PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Basketball Commitment

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:39 pm

JT,

I would do what most on this board have already proposed, except be more liberal on our admissions policy. Would accept 4 BB and 16 FB players regardless of their academic standing. I think the term is ‘red carding’, with the only caveat being a ‘good behavior’ clause; 20 athletes are not going to ruin your academic reputation, having criminals on your campus is another story.

Dexter Manley could not read when he played at OSU. I would have no problem accepting similar athletes (illiterate, not druggies). If you teach them to read while they attend, you have improved their lot in life, the ultimate goal of any university.

One final note, in hindsight, if we were not serious about FB as appears to be the case; I would have preferred a Ford Coliseum over Stadium, it could have been a nice one.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Okay, well our lot in life is what it is, and we've got Jimmy Tubbs running the show, and I think he's about as good as could be expected given things being what they are. Now Stallion, before noting his shortcomings of late, remember that you have rightfully conceded his contribution to Dement's recruiting classes, whatever small success could be claimed there. I'm not ready to send him packing yet, based on recruiting or any other criteria.
jtstang

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:31 pm

where did Old Pony go? We need his grumpiness in here. I guess he gave up on the Ponies.

I am all with So Cal Pony. Why is SMU so worried about their reputation which isn't even that great anyway. They are too concerned about their grad rates....which I could care less about.

As we all know, Tubbs isn't the problem, SMU is the problem and their failure in the B.S. Committment.
Pony_Fan

Postby couch 'em » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:40 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:where did Old Pony go? We need his grumpiness in here. I guess he gave up on the Ponies.

He made a really strange post and then disappeared. I think health issues are more likely than giving up.
couch 'em

Postby DickerJames » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:47 pm

Stallion wrote:Well DickerJames then you weren't paying attention-I bet I follow recruiting about 10 time closer than you and under Dement SMU recruited Dallas just about as well as can be expected. At least 8 Texas Top 20s from DFW off the top of my head plus another 5-6 every year we didn't get. I don't think Tubbs has a single Texas Top 20 out of DFW except the transfer Willingham

You would be correct in your assesment of how much I follow recruiting, I am only going by my memory of what I read in the paper. If I am wrong then I stand corrected, but I still don't recall reading where we were finalist for players with offers from top 10 basketball schools. Maybe on an early list, but not at the end. I suppose it is a foolish argument since we are still talking about being runner ups. Does anybody know what schools had offered Sasser, Willie, Damon, and Ross.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby Nacho » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:50 pm

Sasser was offered by USC and TT. Hancock was offered by Kentucky and a host of others or so I have been told. He was very highly thought of coming out of hs. Don't know about the others. The deleted was for hanc ock. I still think we should dome Ford and turn it into a basketball arena.
Nacho

Previous

Return to Basketball