PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Signing off...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Signing off...

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:35 pm

See you guys in a while. (Maybe when Hopkins returns) ~ I can't watch this nonsense. They'll be lucky to be above .500 this year.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Look on the bright side- We now have another reason to go after Copeland. Bennett went and screwed everything up by winning the last 3 games. (just kidding)
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:41 pm

Possibly. There is no doubt Copeland needs to be shown the door.

I understand giving Tubbs some time but I am at my breaking point. I thought he was supposed to be a stickler for D.....I am so sick of sucking, it's been too long...see ya'll later
Pony_Fan

Postby friarwolf » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:02 pm

I haven't made it a secret I am disappointed in Tubb's approach to recruiting but I'm not ready to throw him out. They are playing better defense with a couple of exceptions. After watching Willingham, I have a sneaky suspicion why he came running home and it wasn't homesickness. He flat quits when he gets picked. Roberts is not too enthralled with playing D either so Tubbs has a quandry. Two of the guys he is relying upon to score don't want to commit completely to defense.

I'll leave it at this for the time being. He has his work cut out to make this a reasonably competitive team - as in 10-12 wins and making the quality teams we play work hard into the second half.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:21 pm

We've been waiting so long for football to get turned around, I am not sure we have time to watch Basketball as well. Basketball is so much easier to turn as well. Get two (yes two) and a few support players and you are in the Tournament. That means one good player a year basically.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby The XtC » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:24 pm

I've noticed the same thing you're saying, about Dez. On defense, he doesnt keep his man in front of him. He switches on picks too often when he shouldnt, or at least the other defender obviously isnt expecting the switch, leaving the ballhandler unguarded. When that happens, the whole defense can blow up, the ball swings around the perimeter, and other people get out of position trying to cover the open men. And against Toledo he gave up the drive on his left side repeatedly, he lets the driver get cornered on him, then just lets him go. You cant play defense like it was a bullfight, you have to keep your body between the man and the basket.
Try not to choke on the Kool-Aid.
The XtC
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:37 pm

friarwolf wrote:I haven't made it a secret I am disappointed in Tubb's approach to recruiting but I'm not ready to throw him out. They are playing better defense with a couple of exceptions. After watching Willingham, I have a sneaky suspicion why he came running home and it wasn't homesickness. He flat quits when he gets picked. Roberts is not too enthralled with playing D either so Tubbs has a quandry. Two of the guys he is relying upon to score don't want to commit completely to defense.

I'll leave it at this for the time being. He has his work cut out to make this a reasonably competitive team - as in 10-12 wins and making the quality teams we play work hard into the second half.

maybe you are right in your suspicion, but he did play alot as a true freshman. If you are implying he got run off, it wouldnt make sense why he got so much playing time before leaving. I do agree that he had a horrible game on Sunday in about every aspect.
Hoop Fan

Postby friarwolf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 pm

I guess what I am surmising about Dez is that he may have been advised by his previous coaches that he needed to "fix" some things in his game if he was going to get any playing time in the future. I hope I just witnessed a very bad game by him. I'll say one thing about Tubbs, he kept sitting Dez. I guess something is going to have to give - Dez is going to have to improve or face more time on the bench or Tubbs will give in. I am hoping it is the former.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:03 pm

No I'm pretty sure he wasn't run off by KSU. I've read quotes from Woolridge? or whoever the coach is and he was "shocked and dismayed" at Dez' departure.
Stallion

Return to Basketball