PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 74 LIU 62

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:04 pm

I said Morris was one of the only bright spots in the Toledo game, and I would say the same thing about the Long Island game. He has a ways to go, but at least he is playing up to expectations as a freshman with good potential. He can bang and he has soft hands, thats a good combination to work with.

Dez made a few jumpers, but Roberts and Pearson are playing no where near where they need to be. Roberts went from being completely confident in his ability and jump shot in the exhibition game I saw to absolutely no confidence in his jumper two weeks later. That has to change. Pearson doesnt look comfortable out on the wing. When Hopkins comes back I might take a chance and go small with Hop, Dez and Roberts on the outside and Pearson and Morris down low.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:52 pm

small ball is this team's only hope. If BHop returns, it's going to make everyone better as most teams will try to focus defensively on Brian. In case you haven't noticed, we don't have many guys who can create their own shot off the dribble and it doesn't appear we want to rely on Dez as a scorer. Epps and Roberts can both be perimeter threats if the defense is focused elsewhere and Morris and Pearson can hopefully pick up garbage points off the offensive boards.

Will be interesting to see if we can even compete with the better teams on our schedule. I'm not expecting much.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:07 pm

good point, CP. I have said in past years that everybody around here was too [deleted] Hopkins because he had little or no help most nights. He does draw alot of defensive attention. Some of us thought Dez would really help Hopkins flourish. Maybe its actually vice versa.
Hoop Fan

Postby abezontar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:19 pm

all this does is underscore the point that we need another high profile recruit or two....THIS YEAR....for the team to ever improve
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bagice » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 pm

I have really been impressed with Morris too. He has been active and seems to have good hands and a soft shot, plus he is the only one on the team that can make a free throw. He has very good mechanics at the line, he needs to give lessons to the others.

When I first saw him in the exhibitions, I thought he was out of shape, but he seems to move really well and doesn't tire out, so maybe that is just his body type, which is not a bad thing, if he can run the floor with that bulk, it just makes him that much stronger of a player. Oliver Miller looked like Morris his whole career and had a pretty good run in college and the NBA. I see a lot of similarities in them, Brian is an inch shorter, and not quite as "round" but the overall body type is the same with the long arms.

I look forward to him hopefully improving each game and giving us a reliable big body in the middle, plus the way he shoots Free throws, hopefully he can become adept at drawing contact and getting to the line often.....As far as the rest of the team goes, I wish we could just take the ball out of bounds when we get fouled......
bagice
Heisman

Postby friarwolf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:57 pm

Matt has had bad ankles for a long time. I hope this gets them fixed as we need his ability to shoot the ball. He will need lots of picks kind of like Alford got from Knight to get his shot off but if he gets them, he can nail the bucket.

Get Fall a dorm room that is attached to the weight room!!!!!!!
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Hopefully neither Fall's or Williams injuries are chronic during their time at SMU!
PonySnob

Previous

Return to Basketball