PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement Update

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement Update

Postby uncgfan1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:51 pm

UNCG is 5-3 with two of the losses (South Carolina and UW Green Bay) played extremely shorthanded due to suspensions for summer league games.

Dement is doing a yoeman's job with nine freshmen and sophomores and on Saturday night they beat the College of Charleston (one of the other top 5 teams in the Socon by 14, and they beat fellow CUSA member East Carolina by 8 on the road on Tuesday).

The excitement is back in Greensboro, the little gym is packed. Thanks for letting him go, we couldn't have done it without you guys.
uncgfan1

Postby StangEsq » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:40 am

Yep, you guys appear to be well on your way to the projected one postseason appearance in 9 years. Enjoy.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:45 am

StangEsq wrote:Yep, you guys appear to be well on your way to the projected one postseason appearance in 9 years. Enjoy.

Any idea as to when Tubbs is going to get us into the postseason?
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 am

StangEsq wrote:Yep, you guys appear to be well on your way to the projected one postseason appearance in 9 years. Enjoy.

PonySnob

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 am

PonySnob

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 am

Stop stuttering.
mrydel

Postby No Cal Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:53 am

mrydel, that was FUNNY! Thanks.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:31 am

I'm even more sure than ever now that Mike DeMent will go Dancing before SMU and will enjoy a long college Head Coach career. He had this program turned around-the only coach in FB and BB to do so-all he needed was the slightest commitment from the university.
Stallion

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:20 am

Hold the phone. Sasser and Davis's senoir year he had all the talent he needed to contend in the WAC and make the tourney with at least an at-large bid. Heck, we were even in a pre-season 25 poll, albeit the DMN's Top 25 (who says they never give us any love) and we were receiving votes in the major polls. I agree that the support wasn't there, but that is no excuse for him not to develop the talent he DID have. He was one of the worst coaches at getting something, anything from his players. We all know that at SMU we NEED coaches who can do that with the restrictions, policys, transfers hours, blah, blah, blah. I was gald to see him go and I believe it was four years too late, enjoy him in Greensboro.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby Waz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:32 pm

Hasn't missed a school yet starting off with someone elses recruits and doing a decent job through the honeymoon period. Awesome recruiting year, no freshmen in the top 7 in scoring, and that is including suspensions to some projected starters for a couple of games. Give him four years and see if he is back to normal. Also take a look at where the players are from. Three of the top 4 are from out of state, North East to be specific and 3 of the 4 Freshman are from NC, none of whom are contributing. Two/three years of the good sophs and jrs and then standard operating proceedure again.

So enjoy yourself for the next couple of years uncgfan1, and then prepare for winter.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:26 pm

Dement was very successful at UNC-G before and I'm sure he will be again. He's back home and he built that program once before (I think they went something like 25-3 the year before SMU hired him). No need to bash Dement. I wish him well. I just wish Coach Tubbs well-er
Charleston Pony

Re: Dement Update

Postby McClown27 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:02 pm

uncgfan1 wrote: The excitement is back in Greensboro, the little gym is packed. Thanks for letting him go, we couldn't have done it without you guys.

Are you Mike, Jr.? If so, what are you up to?
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:50 pm

uncgfan: Just got back from the Little Gym myself, with one of my youngones in tow. Nice place for the kiddos to perfect their motor skills. Good, clean physical exertion. :lol:
RGV Pony

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 am

Isn't UNCG in the CAA with such stalwarts as William and Mary and JMU. I guess ODU is pretty good as is GMU, but there are no world beaters there. So, I would not be surprised to see you go dancing. Good luck with that. Dement tried here and failed. The jury is still out on Jimmy T.
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:27 pm

No...UNCG plays in the Southern Conference with College of Charleston, Davidson, Furman, App State, Georgia Southern, etc... barely a notch below most of CUSA.

They are a "one bid" conference but that team is usually pretty competitive. C of C has won opening games against teams as high as #5 seed and UTC (Tenn-Chattanooga) has advanced to the sweet 16.

Dement went 25-3 the year before SMU hired him, but they lost in the So-Con Tourney and didn't even get the NIT bid as I recall.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball