PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bad news for Sasser

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bad news for Sasser

Postby TUfan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:38 am

He was released from his team, Bnei Hasharon, in Isreal last week. Sorry. :?
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:27 pm

...the man...the myth...long live lord J.....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:52 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:...the man...the myth...long live lord J.....

you certainly got the myth part right!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:08 pm

A top ten ever SMU basketballer, maybe top five, whose sole mark against him was that he was allowed to run free by Mike Dement and you're dissing him? There was NOBODY more exciting to watch than Lord J. Shame he didn't shore up that shot and make a dent in the NBA.

Man, loyalty has fallen on hard times.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:21 pm

nobody more exciting? Man, you are young! SMU has more basketball history than you will ever know.

In recent history, Carl Wright was more of a highlight reel than Sasser.

Ever see Gene Phillips play?

How 'bout the guard tanden of Beasley & Holman in the 60's when SMU dominated the SWC?

Long live Reggie Franklin!
Charleston Pony

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:09 pm

I agree CP....kato had more going on than lord j...carl wright was strong...if I was picking a TEAM, I might even choose Dave Piehler over lord j..I thought lord J was a joke, sort of reminded me of JJ Walker from Good Times in a bball uni....never cared for his style / vibe / team play / ability...sure he is "Mr. Stat", but what else did he do?? Long LIve Pete Lodwick.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:31 pm

It would be really tough to pick an all-time SMU bball team, but Sasser, despite all his points, would not likely make 1st team. I'm not going to bash him and say he wasn't a good player, but for my money Quinton Ross was better. Kato Armstrong was good, but PGs I saw play include Holman, Billy Allen, Butch Moore (maybe my favorite) and I'm probably forgetting someone. I might take Butch as my PG. Gotta have Gene Phillips on any all-SMU team. Lots of choices thru the years, but Sasser might make my 2nd or 3rd team if I was going with a 3 guard lineup.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:31 am

I'm 39 and have been attending games my entire life. So anything that happened after, say, 1973 or so I remember well. And, to these eyes, Jeryl Sasser had the most entertainment value. Hell, the hair alone qualifies him for that status. BTW, my all time personal favorite bballer was the considerably more subdued Mike Wilson. Favorite coach was fast breakin' Sonny Allen.
ponyboy

Postby StangEsq » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:43 pm

I shall never forget the night Sasser methodically dribbled the ball behind his back all the way down the court. That was funny and entertaining -- I don't care who you are.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Carl Wright and Sasser are the two greatest athletes to play at SMU in the last 40 years at least-I'll take Carl Wright as far as pure athleticism but Sasser actually was the slightly better player. The real reason neither became Superstars is that neither could hit the broad side of a barn. Both had unorthadox shooting motions and neither perfected the simple jump shot.
Stallion

Return to Basketball