PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU (+5.5) @ Wyoming

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:18 am

One argument is the thin air might impact shooting, but I kind of doubt that. I will say that it was good to see a late run in the game, that shows that the team's conditioning is better (or that they were slacking early in the game). But to look fresher late in the game at altitude is a refreshing change.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:58 am

PonyPride wrote: Laramie is on the east side of the state, and it's .... not gorgeous.

Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I like it. Smallish university town with cowboy flavor, minutes from great hiking and fly fishing. Beats the hell out of Dallas' concrete and steel.

I went to Colorado State my freshman year and we loved to slip up to Laramie for a mixed drink since drinking age was 18 there at the time. Perhaps that colors my perception somewhat. But ANYWHERE west beats where I'm sitting right now.
ponyboy

Postby due » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:11 am

I only listened to the game on the radio but the reason SMU came up short seems obvious. Our strength is our backcourt (hop, dez, roberts) and it sounded like our big men were shooting the ball (if not turning it over) everytime they got it. this team needs to run, run, run. And our big men need to be cautious about crowding the middle and making it harder for our guards to penetrate and create. I cant understand tubbs for the life of me; his substitutions are atrocious also.
due
Recruit

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:29 am

The second announcer, "Herman, (who?)" was great. The guy knew his stuff and came across great on the radio. If only the other guy had shut up and let him talk....

Close loss in Laramie isn't a killer. Disappointing, perhaps, but not devastating. Losing in single digits when both big guys leave their offense in Dallas .... could have been a lot worse.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:40 am

PonyPride wrote:Western Wyoming (specifically northwestern Wyoming) is gorgeous.

BTW, you don't have to tell me about northwestern Wyoming. See my website: www.fireholecanyon.com
ponyboy

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:10 pm

GREAT PHOTO'S! WHICH ONE IS YOU?
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:33 pm

Hey, thanks. I had fun taking the pics.

I'm the guy standing in freezing cold water on the home page. You can see my ugly mug on the contact page.
ponyboy

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:39 pm

It is also awesome to stand on top of the Grand Teton and watch Old Faithful go off in the distance. Don't fish but do climb and this is beautiful country.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:10 pm

On TOP of the Grand Teton? Holy smokes. That's impressive.
ponyboy

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Several times. Love climbing in the Teton's and Colorado. Us Pony guys from the 60's have to do something to keep up. Too bad SMU does not sponsor NCAA fishing or climbing teams but I guess we have our hands full with what we got. :)
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The Stampede » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:33 pm

Bill - great pics! Some of us younger Mustangs enjoy the same things! I've spent a fair amount of time hiking in RMNP and the Tetons.

Spent a week fishing the Bighorn in Montana this past May and plan on hitting up Henry's Fork or the Yellowstone/Madison around Bozeman this summer.

What are your favorite places?
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:36 pm

Actually those are Ponyboys's great pics.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:19 am

The Stampede wrote: Spent a week fishing the Bighorn in Montana this past May and plan on hitting up Henry's Fork or the Yellowstone/Madison around Bozeman this summer.

What are your favorite places?

I love the Henry's Fork, the Madison below Quake Lake, the Lamar and Slough Creek in the Park, the Firehole of course, and countless others. Email if you need advice. wildtrout@fireholecanyon.com
ponyboy

Postby The Stampede » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:55 am

ponyboy - sorry for the confusion! That's a great site you have there. I will definitely shoot you an e-mail about that area. I just got a new bamboo fly rod I am learning to play with.
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball