PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bummer Sooner

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bummer Sooner

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:17 pm

tough loss, it was definitely there for the taking. On the positive, I liked how we came out and played early in the second half. SMU has not historically come out strong after halftime the past several years. Dez Willingham played his best game here and finally found his jump shot. The defense was good with only a few lapses, both inside and outside.

But even though we played good interior defense, the rebounding obviously killed us. They were just bigger, quicker and stronger to the ball. I hate to single him out, but we need more from Pearson. We also need more production from Roberts to win games like that. The breakout season I thought he was going to have is not happening, yet at least. Rack does some things that are encouraging and then he turns around and baffles you.

SMU played hard, good effort, but opportunity missed. OU was ripe.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DickerJames » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:41 pm

If Pearson hadn't turned the ball over when we were down by one we had a legitimate chance to win this game which is pretty amazing really. I can't fault this team for tonights effort and it gives me hope for this season. I don't think Oklahoma is the number 12 team in the nation, but they were a great test and we played excellent defense tonight. The Sooners hounded Hopkins and basicly shut him down and Dez stepped up and kept us in the game.

A loss is a loss, but this was a true "benchmark" game (not tcu) and I give the team high marks.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby PonyTales » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 pm

Ditto -- we're not shooting the ball well right now, and we still hung with the No. 12 (albeit badly overrated) team in the country. I don't see a team with the possible exception of Memphis with which we can't compete.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:51 pm

I do, Houston will out athlete us, especially in the paint. I think they're similiar to Memphis in that regard, albeit not as good.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball